Friday, February 17, 2017

February 17, 2017 Rain & Ice

Finally found the
propane tank.

JB working on the
wood shed roof. (He had on
his big coat, but I was just
wearing a hoodie.)













Wednesday 2/15. All that Valentine's Day candy on sale and here I am, stuck up on the mountain!  I'm down to chocolate chips. . . although JB did make some brownies yesterday.

There was no going outside without cleats on our boots.  Not even down the porch steps, as they are solid ice.  Icy paths.  Icy snow.  Ice everywhere!

The rain stopped around 9:00, so I was outside trying to clear off the wood shed roof some more.  Good thing I got out there then, because it started raining again about 10:30 and continued for the rest of the day.  Sometimes just a drizzle; other times pouring.  Our high for the day was 32.

JB is really into baking.  Brownies yesterday; banana bread and pound cake with cranberries today.  I've gained so much weight this winter that a few more pounds won't make much difference.

We watched the last of our Jesse Stone movies.  Very entertaining.

Thursday 2/16. It was 35 and raining this morning, and had been for most of the night.  However it stopped around 9:00 am, and then we had scattered blue sky and sun off and on for the day, with a wonderful high of 44.

I was out at 8:30 trying to clear off the tarp over part of the girls' run.  There were two huge pieces of ice on it that I could not get out, but I did get all the snow.  By 9:30 both JB and I were out working on clearing off the top of the propane tank which had at least two feet of snow and ice sitting on it.  Just didn't think all that weight was a good thing.  After clearing most of that off, we worked a bit on the wood shed roof.

North Idaho is having quite a problem with carports and shed roofs collapsing.  One of Randy's neighbors' barn collapsed with two of their cars inside.  This is a very hard winter for a lot of people, but I think we are in better shape than most.

Around 2:00 pm I went out to see if I could get the ice off the girls' run roof.  I actually managed to do it, even though the largest piece must have weighed 50 lbs.  Then I went to work some more on the wood shed roof.  Even though I was doing a lot of shoveling, it felt good to be doing physical work.  Didn't really need a jacket as our high for the day was 44.  It hasn't been that warm since November, I don't think.

Friday 2/17. It is 30 with mostly clear skies this morning.  No shoveling today.  I'm too sore. . .

Thought for the day: This, too, shall pass.

1 comment:

  1. What a winter you are having. I used to live in western Washington state and when we got big snow storms a lot of people lost their roof or it started to leak because of the weight. It's not something you think about until it's happening to you. Thank you for keeping us informed about your experience and keep shoveling.

    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roof

    ReplyDelete