Friday, February 24, 2017

February 24, 2017 A Long Hike

Ready for my
3-mile hike.

The main canyon
road.













Wednesday 2/22. I was on my way by 8:45 am.  By 9:15 I had taken off my snow shoes, and was seriously questioning my reasons for wanting to go Down There.  I had also taken off my hat,gloves and scarf.  And the effects of my morning shower had completely been negated.  I always forget how much of our road going down has so many uphill stretches.  It took me 1-1/4 hours to get to the main canyon road, about 1-3/4 miles.  However, at that point it is all downhill, and I knew I was actually going to make it.

I arrived at Larry and Elsie's at 11:00 am, and was on my way to a grande vanilla latte.  Elixir of the gods!  Then I went next door for a juicy hamburger and washed down three ibuprofen with it.  So good!

I got all my shopping done at a leisurely pace, then stopped in to see Larry and Elsie at their shop.  They close at 5:30 and it was only 4:00, so I treated myself to dinner at Applebee's.  I love their Oriental Chicken Salad, which I washed down with a beer.  Heaven!  I haven't done that since we lived in Chicago.  However, I was very anxious to get back to Rose Camp, as I really did not enjoy being Down There.  It's not that I'm becoming a hermit.  I really do like people.  They can come up and visit anytime. . .

I was back to Larry and Elsie's place, and had the SnoCat loaded with all my purchases by the time they arrived home.  I was worried that everything would not fit, but it did, including two 40-lb bags of chicken feed (they were having a sale).  All Larry seemed concerned about was having enough room for his beer!  The ride back up was the perfect ending to the day.

Thursday 2/23. It was a chilly 22 degrees this morning with a mostly clear sky.  That few degrees that separate 22 and 26 might as well be 15 degrees as they make all the difference in the world between cool and really cold.  But it was a beautiful sunny day with all the black clouds moving along to the south.  One errant cloud got too close around 2:00 pm and we had a short flurry, but that was it for us while Mission Ridge got dumped on.  Our high for the day was 36. 

Getting out of bed this morning was quite a challenge.  Everything ached.  Bones, muscles, tendons.  And the more I sat still reading our mail, magazines and papers, the more I ached.  So I got out and brought in fire wood.  Took out the recycle and had to chip ice so I could open the recycle/garbage shed door.  That seemed to help, so I went back to reading with JB.

Everything we do this year will be geared towards surviving the winters more effectively, including increasing the quantities on our supply list.

Friday 2/24. It is 19 and mostly clear this morning.  It sounds like we are in for a cold spell.

Thought for the day: After much research and consideration, I have decided that adulthood is not for me.  Thank you for the opportunity.  (Seen on Facebook)

No comments:

Post a Comment