Monday, February 13, 2017

February 13, 2017 Sun, Wind & Marbles

Jesse walking up the slope
on top of the snow.

Our propane tank is somewhere
under there. . .











Friday 2/10. We enjoyed a couple hours of bright blue sky and sunshine before the next round of snow blew in on 15 mph gusts as we returned from our morning walk.  We endured a two-hour blizzard that left behind about 2" of snow.  Then the wind took the clouds with it and I got outside to clear off the wood shed roof as much as possible.  I didn't want to stand on the roof, but I was able to clear off about three feet along the low edge.  

The wind stuck around, gusting to 26 mph and our high for the day was 38.

Saturday 2/11. This morning was 24 and clear.  Our snowy landscape was covered with fir cones and needles, small branches and twigs.  But the sun was shining, and continued to do so all day.

I used all that incoming power to vacuum.  Then I went outside and cleared more snow off the wood shed roof.  JB did a little shoveling.  Dinga was barking, as usual, but he noticed a few ravens circling just to the north of the tipi where she was.  She often "talks" to them and they chatter to her, but this time JB saw an eagle rise up out of one of the trees.  That's what all the noise had been about.

I ordered an ice maker on line this afternoon.  I figured we will be needing it as the weather should be warming up soon.  I just hope I didn't jinx us by doing that.

It was a beautiful day.  Our trail sign has reappeared, as have the tops of a few stumps.  There is still a thick crust of ice on the snow.

Larry and Elsie drove up in the SnoCat, bringing groceries and mail this evening.  We played two games of marbles and had a great time.  The games were split with the men winning the first one and the women barely sneaking by to win the second.  Just the evening I needed to shore up my sanity.

Before they arrived, JB heard a large group of coyotes to the north.  Larry said they are running across the top of the snow on the crust.  They also saw signs that the big elk is still in the area.

Sunday 2/12. It was 24 and overcast this morning, but the cloud cover soon thinned and the sun shone through.  By noon the sky was blue and it was another gorgeous day.

Jesse went up to the south ridge this morning and we could hear him barking way down in the canyon.  So I got dressed and went to find him.  He was about half-way down the slope, walking on top of the snow.  I coaxed him back up and he had no problem climbing up, and he weighs about 55 lbs.  That is until he got back on the ridge.  The crust is obviously harder on the slope than the top where he started sinking.  We got back to the house and I brought in the fire wood, finishing the fourth row and starting the fifth.  We went through the fourth row a bit faster, as most of the wood was shorter than normal from the short rounds that were cut from the large trees felled last year.

It was another great, sunny day but I swore I was not going to do any more shoveling.  So I washed the inside of the refrigerator.  Then I packed four coffee cans with snow and ice, and put one in the freezer and three in the fridge.  We'll see how that works out.

We all went on our afternoon walk.  It feels so good to be in the sunshine, regardless of how cold it is outside.  Actually anything in the mid twenties or higher is warm, and our high today was 32.

Monday 2/13. It is 24 with mostly clear skies this morning.  Pretty sure there will be shoveling involved in my day. . .

Thought for the day: Journalism is popular, but it is popular mainly as fiction.  Life is one world, and life seen in the newspapers is another.  Gilbert Keith Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment