Wednesday, February 22, 2017

February 22, 2017 Canning Chicken & Plans To Go Down There

Our gigantic ice
cream cone!



Monday 2/20. Today was my friend Hazel's 101st birthday!  It must be so incredible to have seen so many changes that burgeoning technology has had on day to day life.  Unfortunately our card for her will be belated as I will be mailing it on Wednesday.  I plan to snowshoe the three miles down to JB's Jeep that is parked at Larry and Elsie's.  I will send some other belated birthday cards and a package to Nene, then do some grocery shopping.  However, since this will be my first trip Down There since December 23, my first stop will be to get a latte.  I plan to have a big,juicy hamburger for lunch, and then maybe one for dinner, too.  Larry will drive me back home in the SnoCat, but they don't get home from work til around 6:00 pm.

Randy has been snowed in for more than two weeks now, so on Saturday he walked the half mile down to a neighbor who loaned him her car to drive in to town for groceries.  Then she loaned him a little sled to pull them back to his house.  Unfortunately, he bought a good 60 lbs worth of food and it took him two hours to get it up his hill!  At least I will have a ride back up

We had received an inch of snow in the past 24 hours, and another 2" by 11:00 am.  The snow stopped by 2:30.  Then we had blue sky and sunshine, along with a strong breeze that was flinging snow bombs.  But we managed to dodge them all on our afternoon walk.

I started taking fire wood off of the porch today, as I usually do this time of February.  We still have almost three rows of stick wood in the shed and are burning that during the day.

A while ago I mentioned what a patient husband I had.  Turns out he's just really good at biting his tongue. . .

Tuesday 2/21. It was 30 and a very fine snow was falling this morning.  JB measured 5-1/2" of snow received in the past 24 hours.  On their morning walk, he and the dogs saw two large coyotes on the west end of the south ridge.  The dogs quickly chased them off, but kept going out and checking for them for the next several hours.

Today I canned meat for the first time ever.  I canned seven pints of chicken for the dogs, since I can't freeze it any more.  I was really nervous about doing it because of the thought of botulism, but I followed the directions exactly and it looks as though all the jars have sealed correctly.  It is quite a time-consuming project that took more than five hours from beginning to get everything ready to taking the jars out of the pressure canner.  I figure if the dogs survive my feeding it to them, I'm good to go.  

The snow stopped falling around 10:00 am, except for a short squall that went through around 3:30 pm.  Our high for the day was 40.

Wednesday 2/22. It is 26 and mostly cloudy this morning.  I hope to be on my way Down There before 9:00 am.

Thought for the day: Life is like a bicycle.  You don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.  Claude Pepper, U.S. Congressman

No comments:

Post a Comment