Wednesday, May 17, 2017

May 17, 2017 70 Years On Planet Earth!!

Snow on the dwarf
waterleaf blooms.


Monday 5/15. We left for Down There at 7:30 am as planned.  Dropped off JB's Jeep and did some shopping which included the Glaze Bakery.  I had a $10-off coupon that was good if you spent $20 or more.  I did not realize how much pastry one can buy for $20!!  In my excitement to shop there, I locked my keys in the car and we had to call AAA for help.  It only took about 20 minutes or so for the tow truck to arrive.  Just enough time to sample the wares. . .

Then we went to Costco and bought a new "refrigerator".  Actually it is labeled as a 125 quart cooler, but to us it is a refrigerator.  Also bought 40 lbs. of ice for it ($4), and we were on our way back to the canyon.  Clouds had moved in and the sky was overcast by the time we arrived home, having left some goodies in Elsie's fridge and stopped by our other neighbor to drop off doughnuts.  Our high for the day was 52.

At Larry and Elsie's I also said goodbye to Buster, which was so very difficult. . .  When Elsie called on the radio at 9:00 pm, she was crying and Buster had crossed over the rainbow bridge with the help of a very kind vet who came to their home.

Tuesday 5/16. It was 36 and overcast this morning.  Another early start today as we had to pick up JB's Jeep and I had a 10:00 am doctor's appointment for my annual physical.  It was raining when we left home at 8:00 am and we slid a bit sideways down the driveway, but the bill for the repair was actually $100 less than their estimate, which was a nice surprise.  I passed my physical with flying colors, and by the time I was finished, the sun was shining.

JB drove straight home with his Jeep, and I did a little leisurely shopping.  I also stopped in to see Larry and Elsie at their shop, and commiserate.  Then I went to Costco to purchase a smaller cooler for all our drinks - milk, juice, etc.  Everything from the refrigerator actually fits in the large cooler, but I just thought it would be easier with a separate one for drinks.

As I stopped to pick up our mail, hail began slamming down and I drove up the canyon in quite a hailstorm.  I stopped in to see Larry and Elsie's little dog, who was obviously very distressed at the absence of his life-long friend.  His whimpering almost got me crying again.

My Jeep couldn't make it up our driveway, so JB drove down in his to pick up me, the cooler, and groceries.  We had hail and snow all afternoon, with a few loud claps of thunder.  And, once again, the ground was white.  Our high for the day was 46.

Wednesday 5/17. It is 34 with wind gusting to 12 mph and not a cloud in sight on this morning of my 70th birthday!  70 doesn't quite compute, but I am thrilled that I made it this far and living in the only place I want to be.

Thought for the day: Birthdays, better than the alternative. . .





No comments:

Post a Comment