Friday, May 5, 2017

May 5, 2017 Down There Again & A Thunder Storm

Our piles of "junk" wood
with more to get.


Wednesday 5/3. We left for Down There at 8:30 in my Jeep.  Then at the main canyon road, JB got his Jeep and drove it to the repair shop.  We did some grocery shopping and JB was going to drop me off at Elsie's shop, but we had to go get his Jeep because it is not only the transmission leaking, the transfer case also needs work and they don't have time to do it today.  We will bring it back on the 15th.  So I took his Jeep to work and he drove back home in my Jeep.

Elsie and I had a good, busy day.  Plenty of time to talk, but also lots of customers.  When I checked the mail on my way home, the birthday/Mother's Day present I bought with the money from my son was there.  It is an espresso machine that works on a gas or wood stove!  

The day was beautiful but humid.  By far the warmest day so far this year, in the 70's in town and 65 at Rose Camp.  This was the first night that we did not need to put a fire in the wood stove.

Thursday 5/4. It was 42 and mostly clear this morning.  I had put in a fire when I got up with the dogs at 5:00 am, but we didn't need another one.

Lots of work to do in the house, including putting away the groceries and an order from Emergency Essentials that we had received.  I also had to make syrup for the very demanding hummingbirds and get the feeders hung out.

We tilted the solar panels all the way up and saw our first snake today.  Not a rattler, but a green racer.

For the first time ever, we had big bumble bees in the house.  They must have nested somewhere in the wall last Fall.  Wherever it was, it was spitting them out about five to ten minutes apart until we had almost twenty of them.  Fortunately we were able to trap them in the bug vacuum tube we have and release them outside, one by one with never more than one in the house at a time.

The forecast thunder clouds gathered during the day and it was quite humid again with a high of 68.  Even warmer than yesterday.  With one little bang of thunder, the pouring rain arrived just before 9:00 pm.

Since my other blog is taking up so much of my time, I have decided to post it just once a week, on Mondays.

Friday 5/5. The thunder storm arrived a little after 1:30 am in a very LOUD light show and more rain.  Between the light, the noise, and panting, pacing dogs, we were all up for a while.  JB stayed on the couch and then did the perimeter hike when the sun came up.  No signs of smoke.  

It is 52 and over cast at 7:30 am.  JB just went back to bed and I will definitely be taking a nap today.  I had planned to go Down There to hit some sales, but that won't be happening.

Thought for the day: God never slams a door in your face without opening a box of Girl Scout cookies.  Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment