Wednesday, May 31, 2017

May 31, 2017 Back To Work, Work, Work!


Lupine & balsam root on
our south ridge.

Deer brush now in bloom.

Giant paintbrush blooming
on the south ridge.










Tuesday 5/30. Well, the long weekend certainly was relaxing while it lasted, but today it was back to the real world.  Before breakfast JB was out mowing with the tractor while the wash was going, so I could hang the clothes outside without having grass and dirt blown all over them.

After chores and lunch, we headed down in JB's Jeep, pulling the trailer in order to gather downed small trees and large branches along our road.  The dogs rode down and then I walked back up with them, gathering as we went.  When we would come upon a tree, JB got out and cut it, except for the last one which I cut.  The trailer was filled before we even got half way back home.  Having only walked about a mile, both the dogs and I were glad for the ride home.

We noticed a pile of bear scat as we drove down.  Didn't think much about it until we arrived back where it was and the dogs discovered it.  I chased Jesse away, but didn't get to Dinga in time to keep her from rolling in it. . .

Even after that hike, Dinga and I went on our regular afternoon walk.  The deer brush is blooming now and its fragrance is phenomenal!  Unfortunately, it will only last about a week.  I wish I could capture it in a jar to delight in the rest of the year.  The lupine is blooming Up Here now with all the other wild flowers.  Definitely my favorite time of year.

After dinner we cleaned the bear scat off of Dinga with a great hand-made dog soap that I have.

The sky was mostly overcast by noon, and the day was hot and muggy with a high of 78.  The clouds threatened rain and the thunder storm that was in the forecast.  The storm arrived a little before 6:00 pm with some big boomers right over our house.  Torrential rain blew in about 1/2 hour after the light show began.  The whole experience lasted about 1-1/2 hours.  Our highest wind gust was 17 mph, but down in the canyon Larry and Elsie had 31 mph.

Wednesday 5/31. It is 52 this morning with a light overcast.  We are going to make our semi-annual garbage run today.

Thought for the day: "I tried but it didn't work" is a lot better than "I wish I had tried."

No comments:

Post a Comment