Friday, July 28, 2017

July 28, 2017 A Trip Down There & Working On the Road

Me, after working just an
hour on the road.
Wrens' nest.














Wednesday 7/26. I drove Down There and did what I had to do.  Didn't look for anything that wasn't on my list.  (Well, except for a bottle of Margaritas at Costco, but that was on the shelf just as I walked in the door.)  Was home by 11:30 but the temperature was pushing 90 Down There by then.  According to Elsie, it got up to 101.  Our high for the day was 88.  A very uncomfortable 88 with little or no breeze.

I had a quick lunch then went back down the driveway to help JB who had been working on the road all morning.  I removed the larger rocks that had been dug up from the drainage ditch.  The road is really looking good, but after an hour I had sweat running down my face and was getting filthy.

When it just got to be too hot, we quit for the day, resting and reading our books until it was time to feed the dogs and get dinner.

The first nesting pair of wrens we had left in late June with their young ones, but now we have another pair nesting just under the roof of the generator shed.  They must have several babies as it is quite noisy!

Thursday 7/27. It was 62 and clear with a light wind this morning.  A wonderful, cool, light wind.  We were out by 9:30 to work on the road.  JB finished up the drainage ditch and made a couple "whoop-tee-doos" (Larry language for the bumps to direct the water off the road.)  I moved rocks and raked out the ditch.  Not so sweaty today with that lovely wind.

After lunch, JB drove down to the corner he worked on a couple days ago to finish up.  I did inside chores and made chicken/salmon broth for the dogs.  First time I have been able to do it since our other fridge died, as I now have a freezer for it.

Driving back up, Dinga saw a rattle snake on the road and pointed it out to JB, but he could not get to it in time to kill it.  My brother is at his cabin this week and called today.  He actually stepped on a 3' timber rattler yesterday.  He is now quite sure that he holds the world record for the longest standing long jump!  Reminiscent of Larry almost stepping on one several years ago and proving that white men can jump. . .

Friday 7/28. It is 56 with clear skies and a very light breeze this morning.  I plan to get down to rake the road early, while JB fixes the lights on the trailer.

Thought for the day: It does not require many words to speak the truth.  Chief Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment