Monday, December 4, 2017

December 4, 2017 More Snow & More Eggs

Valley fog to the west on
Friday.
View off the north ridge
Saturday afternoon.
Our Sunday afternoon
visitor.















Friday 12/1. I was on my way Down There by 9:00 am and back home by 1:30 pm.  There were lots of rabbit and deer tracks along our road, and often close together.  Bambi and Thumper?  It was a quick trip with just a few stops on my list, so I had time to drop in and visit Larry and Elsie.  I had pictures developed at Costco and decided to wait for them.  While browsing, I found and extendable snow wiper that is perfect for Miss Kitty.  Having looked for women's snow pants at a reasonable price for several weeks with no luck, both in stores and on line, I finally decided to buy a pair of men's size small at Costco.  Great price and when I got home and tried them on, they fit perfectly.  Well, maybe an inch or so too long, but not a problem with snow boots on.

We had blue sky and sunshine Up Here, while everyone below about 3000 ft. had a very overcast day.  Our high was 37.

It is almost a full moon, and moonlight on a snowy landscape is absolutely magical.  I turn off the light in the bathroom while brushing my teeth at night and see the magic, as opposed to watching myself in the bathroom mirror.  I love it.

Saturday 12/2. It was 30 and overcast this morning with valley fog.  Tiny patches of blue sky began to appear mid morning and the sun peeked through, but all it managed to do was pull the fog up to Rose Camp.  The predicted snowfall began around 10:30 as JB and the dogs were on their walk.  By 3:30 we had 2" at the end of our afternoon walk, and by 5:30 the snow had all but stopped and we had received a total of 4".  Our high for the day was 24.

I spent most of the day inside wrapping gifts and addressing cards.

Egg production was down in November and we only received 15 eggs, one every other day.  However, yesterday we got 1 egg and today they gave us two!

The generator would not turn on this evening to power up the batteries, so we watched two episodes of Boston Legal on my computer.

Sunday 12/3. It was 27 with clear skies and a light breeze this morning.  An icy light breeze.
After breakfast I started the snow blower for JB and he spent about an hour clearing paths around our house and the hen house.  I cleaned off the vehicles and ran my Jeep and the tractor for a while.  Also drove MAX up and around the south ridge.  

By then it was time for our morning walk.  Such a glorious day to be walking on the mountain!  

After lunch JB checked out the generator.  Everything looked good and it started right up.  Vapor lock?  Then I shoveled off the deck with the new snow shovel from Costco.  It is bigger and lighter, and I was done in minutes instead of an hour.  It always helps to use the right tool for the job, and not wait til the snow is two feet deep. . .

The girls gave us two more eggs today.  Looks like our egg production is getting back on track.

Both the dogs were inside when they spotted a doe just across the driveway.  We didn't let them out, just so we could watch her.  She just wandered from bush to bush eating rose hips and twigs.  She was almost to the top of the south ridge when we finally let the dogs out.  They couldn't see her and just sniffed out her tracks from the direction she had come.  She didn't move, just kept on eating and watching the dogs.  Jesse came in and then Dinga finally spotted her and ran in her direction.  Again, the doe just watched and Dinga stayed about 20 yards away.  I guess if they don't run, Dinga won't chase.  Meanwhile, Jesse was inside and didn't have a clue.

A light overcast formed by 3:00 pm and our high for the day was 32.

Monday 12/4. It is 22 and partly cloudy, I think, this morning.  A bit hard to tell as the sun is not up yet.  However, the full moon is still up and riding high in the west.

Thought for the day: It's all good and working out like it should.  Angels watching over me.  (A little ditty I often sing in my head, and sometimes out loud.)

No comments:

Post a Comment