Monday, August 13, 2018

August 13, 2018 Cooler Temps So Back To Work

A "before" photo of the trees
to be cut on Wednesday.


Friday 8/10. The house did not cool off last night and it barely cooled outside with this morning's temperature at 78.  Fortunately, driving down to Larry and Elsie's on their four-wheeler was nice and cool.  JB picked me up there at 9:30 and I dropped him off at his doctor's.  So enjoyed the air conditioning in the stores, but driving back up the mountain and unloading all the groceries was not at all fun.  

JB's doctor gave him the go-ahead for all activities.  The more he does, the better, as deep breathing will help him heal faster.  He just has to use the pain as an indication of when to stop.

Our high for the day was 94 and if it weren't for the promise of a cold front moving in, I was all ready to get an air-conditioned motel room for the night.  I noticed the breeze picking up around 4:30 pm and by 8:30 pm we had a cool wind.

We only have one or two hummingbirds left Up Here, but lots of crickets singing to us each evening.

Larry and Elsie had a great time at the lake, with their grandsons catching more fish that anyone else!

Saturday 8/11. It was a lovely 68 this morning with the wind still gusting to 15 mph.  All the smoke is gone so we had blue sky and mountains.

We took down the last two sections of the fence and used the tractor to move all the planters out of the way from where the trees will fall.  Then we cleared three piles of small branches and needles from across the drive.  I filled the tractor bucket and JB drove the loads to the woodchuck village.  After that, it was nap time, but it sure felt good to be outside working again.

I have to admit that I might actually be passing from middle age to "getting old-er".  The energy and strength that I had when we first moved Up Here ten years ago just aren't at the higher levels than they were.  I am much more willing to take things slower.  I enjoy sitting on the porch for longer periods of time than I used to.  Before, I was always jumping up to do things.  Now I just like to relax.  It's a very long ten years between 61 and 71 years old.

We watched Adaptation this evening, but our DVD player died before the movie ended.  Will have to buy a new player, blue-ray this time

Our high for the day was a windy 78.  A lovely 78 that we all enjoyed.

Sunday 8/12.  It was a chilly 58 this morning with clear skies, but a light overcast had formed by 11:00 am.  There was just a slight breeze and by early afternoon the smoke had moved back in.  Unfortunately, yesterday's wind had whipped up the fires again.

We were outside to clear another large pile of small branches and needles from across the drive.  Again, I loaded the tractor bucket and JB drove the loads to the woodchuck village, giving them a lot more nesting material.  Between loads, I broke up branches from other piles into kindling.

After lunch we changed the air filter in Miss Kitty.  Then JB drove the kindling in a large bucket-load to the wood shed and I stacked it.  A bit later, I worked on making more kindling.

Our high for the day was just 72 and JB actually had to wear a jacket.  I was wearing long pants and shoes instead of cut-offs and sandals for the first time in weeks.  Funny how cooler weather can pick up your spirits so much.  The dogs were practically giddy, racing around chasing each other.

Monday 8/13. It is another chilly 58 this morning with a light overcast, and we are smoked in.  Can barely see the other side of the canyon.

My bladder woke me up at 2:00 am and then the dogs decided their bladders were full also.  Twenty minutes later the dogs were back in and I was wide awake.  Sat up for an hour eating Ritz crackers with Swiss cheese, and nibbling on dry Honey Nut Cheerios while working sudoku and then reading my book.  My sleep issues seem to be back.  Will see what works this time.

Thought for the day: There is no place like hope.  Guideposts, August 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment