Wednesday, August 8, 2018

August 8, 2018 A Trip Down There & More Heat

Ground in grove covered with
fir cone "petals".



Monday 8/6. I was on my way Down There with all the gas cans by 8:30, and home before 11:00 am.  Our little flock of grouse was visiting the girls as I left.  By the level of the girls' water in the morning, I think the grouse stick their heads through the wire fence and drink.  We are seeing more wild turkeys on the road lately, big ones and little ones.

We caught a mouse in one of the loft traps early this morning.  I am sure there will be more.

I harvested our first tomatoes and we had them in our scrambled eggs last night for dinner.  So good!

The ground in the grove is covered with fir cone "petals" that the squirrels and chipmunks have pulled apart to get to the seeds.  (See photo above.)

The heart meds must be in my system now.  It has been a week and this is the first day that I have had no PVCs.  Very nice.

It's getting hot again.  Our high for the day was 86.

Tuesday 8/6. It was 72 and clear this morning with just a little less smoke.  I could barely see the outline of the mountains.  No air movement though.

Again, early this morning, a mouse got caught in one of the loft traps, only this one just got his leg caught, so he was dragging the trap all around.  Had to go up and catch him, and let him go outside.  By then I was too wide awake to go back to sleep right away, so I stayed up for some graham crackers and sudoku.  I have really had this thing for graham crackers lately, ever since we made s'mores.  I have come to the conclusion that commercially made gluten free crackers just don't do much for me (except for the pretzels which I really like).  Two squares of graham crackers with peanut butter and Nutella in between is quite heavenly and not nearly as bad for me as other concoctions I could make.  Last Friday, when JB was fishing, I had a banana, peanut butter and Nutella sandwich for dinner.  Quite delightful and actually nutritious.

The moon is waning and there was about a quarter of it hanging in the sky when I was up at 2:30 am.  I was back to bed in an hour and quickly fell asleep.

When I got up for the day, I reset the traps in the loft and got a load of wash going.  Was almost finished hanging it up when Larry and Elsie arrived with their grandsons.  They brought up their four-wheeler for me to use to go down to water and feed while they go to the lake with their boat tomorrow through Friday.  They have offered to help us slice up the trees we are having felled next Wednesday.

JB's brother called today to say that he will be up next week on Thursday and Friday to help slice up the trees, also.  Friends and family - can't do it without them.

JB is getting around better than I had expected.  He says it's down to a dull ache as long as he moves slowly and doesn't cough or laugh.  It's going to be a long haul.

I took a long nap to make up for last night.  Our high Up Here for the day was 84 with a slight breeze.  Sure didn't seem any cooler than yesterday.  I have to go Down There again tomorrow for a follow-up appointment with my doctor regarding my heart and meds.  Not looking forward to the trip as the temperature is supposed to be pushing 100.

Wednesday 8/8. It is 70 this morning with no breeze.  The smokey haze seems to be thinning a bit.

Thought for the day: Sometimes I look in the mirror and think - Oh, that can't be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment