Friday, December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018 A Day Down There & A Death In My Family

Part of our little band of deer
on Wednesday morning.



Wednesday 12/12. Our little band of deer visited this morning just as I got up at 7:00 am.  They stayed to the south of the house and never did go to the apples.  We watched as they nibbled on the bushes and ate moss off the tree trunks.

I was on my way Down There in Miss Kitty by 9:00.  Always an adventure in the snow and today was no different.  It was a long day, with the longest stop at the post office.  But the sun shone most of the time and I finally had to take off my coat because it was so warm.  Got everything done and was back home just before 4:00 pm.  It always takes longer in the winter as I have to load items from Miss Kitty into the Jeep on my way down, and then from the Jeep into Miss Kitty on my way back up.  Still no snow in town, although it came just into the outlying neighborhoods.

Our high for the day was 32 and clouds had moved in over most of the sky by the time I arrived back home.

My Aunt called this evening with news that my cousin, who is JB's age, had died in a car accident last night.  I simply couldn't get my head around that.  I have never experienced the sudden death of a family member or friend.  No time to say goodbye. . .

Thursday 12/13. It is 34 and overcast this morning.  The deer came back during the night and did eat the apples, so I put more out right away.  Still so sad and a bit discomboobilated about last night's news.

JB and I enjoyed newspapers with our morning coffee.  Then JB took the dogs on their morning walk and saw two four-point bucks just down from the south ridge.  He asked them if they were the ones who ate the apples, but they weren't about to admit it.

After lunch he baked some banana bread, and drove MAX around the house and up to the south ridge a couple times to pack down the snow.

We enjoyed some blue sky and sunshine for several hours, but then the cloud cover returned.  Won't be watching the meteor shower tonight.  Our high for the day was a balmy 40.

Friday 12/14. It is 28 and overcast this morning with valley fog.  The temperature is dropping again.

Thought for the day: People aren't either wicked or noble.  They're like chef's salads, with good things and bad things chopped and mixed together in a vinalgrette of confusion and conflict.  Lemony Snicket


No comments:

Post a Comment