Monday, December 31, 2018

December 31, 2018 Happy New Year! Life Is Good.

Visiting deer on Friday.


Friday 12/28. It was a very good trip Down There.  No issues on the road with either Miss Kitty or the Jeep.  Bought everything on my list, and then some, including a two-pack of roasting chickens at Costco.
Picked up my package at the UPS store (radio/cd player I had ordered), and was home just before 1:00 pm.

It's been so long since I roasted a bird of any kind that I put it in the oven upside down.  Was going to roast them both, but they were larger than I thought, so I'll do the second one tomorrow.

Our little herd of deer visited this afternoon.  Interesting how they eat the moss off the trees.  The largest one was obviously looking for apples, of which I have no more, and she wouldn't eat the corn.

Santa brought us the fifth season of Black List, which we are now watching.  Very good!

Saturday 12/29. It is 36, windy and partly cloudy this morning with a high wind warning.  The wind increased in strength all day, with a gust of 30 mph around 3:00 pm.  Rain began to blow in, so we did the shortened version of our afternoon walk.  Just as we got back inside the house, rain began splashing against the windows.

I put away about half of the Christmas decorations.  Took down the tree and cleaned the coffee table.  Will do the rest after New Year's.

I roasted the second chicken, right side up this time.  Two big dinners in a row.  So nice.

Our high for the day was 42 and the wind continued to roar until a little after midnight.  If this is our almost-annual Chinook, it is about a week early.  What a mess this is going to be if it freezes right away.

Sunday 12/30. Well, it did freeze right away.  It is 28 this morning with clear skies and a bit of a breeze.  Lovely.  Now everything that melted yesterday is frozen solid today.  And, of course, all the snow melted to some degree.  The paths and driveway are solid ice and the snow has a thick, frozen crust.  But it was a beautiful, if frigid, morning walk.  Took my last Sunday photo for the year from the north ridge.

JB baked large, chocolate muffins, and I just did my normal chores.  I did freeze the  chicken leftovers.  Most for us and some for the dogs.  Am on the second Mitford book that JB gave to me for Christmas.  Our high for the day was 32.

I have arrived at a mental and emotional place where I am ready to embrace the "new" in New Year.  Time to let go of some feelings and some people.  My Mother was all about family and friends.  Once she had them, she had them forever.  But that's not always the case.  People move on and so must you.  This New Year's I am moving on.

Monday 12/31. It is 20 this morning with mostly clear skies.  As I write this, dawn is arriving.  My computer desk is in the loft in front of a window facing west. The mountains are a brilliant white with a dark blue layer of sky just on top, and a vivid pink layer on top of the blue.  God, I love this place!

Thought for the day:  What are New Year's resolutions?  A to-do list for the first week in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment