Friday, December 7, 2018

December 7, 2018 A Trip to Pick Up Mail & A Visit From The Deer

Mountains peeking through a
break in the cloud cover to the west.
JB and dogs on our Thursday
morning walk, south ridge.












My non-Christmas gift
chicken socks!

Wednesday 12/5. By 11:00 am we had blue sky and sunshine bouncing off the snow.  Except for bringing in the wood, I was inside all morning addressing cards in small batches as I finished them in small batches.  The design of this year's card is way too complicated and doesn't reflect all the work I am putting into them.  Next year's will be VERY simple.

After lunch I drove Miss Kitty down to pick up the mail.  Didn't really need to get the mail, but I wanted to widen the tracks on the road.  The main canyon road has been plowed by neighbors down to Larry and Elsie's, and it doesn't need plowing any further than that.  No real problems driving on our road.

Going down, just past our game cam, I saw rather large cougar tracks coming up.  They came from the short cut where I saw lots of deer tracks going down.  Hopefully there weren't there at the same time. . .  The deer tracks went down our road from there to the rope gate and then down the slope.  Lots of rabbit tracks though, all the way down our road.

I received an envelope from Sandy today and in it was a pair of absolutely the cutest chicken socks I have ever seen!  We had agreed not to exchange Christmas presents this year, so I can only assume that since they were not wrapped and have arrived in early December that they are a late Thanksgiving gift. . .

Our high for the day was 24 and it felt a lot colder than yesterday.

Thursday 12/6. It is 18/16 this morning and overcast.  I got up at 4:30 am to put in a fire, the thermometer on the window read 12.  But the apples were gone and we were left with lots of deer tracks around the house.  One little one even went into the wood shed enclosure (the gate is always open now).  We can see where they have munched on some of the bushes, and most of the rose bushes have been stripped of their hips.  So glad we can provide such a buffet for them.

Again, I worked on Christmas cards and finished my last gift that needs to be mailed.  JB used the snow blower to clear a place to park my Jeep and Miss Kitty for the winter just up from the girls' run.

I always seem to stress myself out these first few weeks of December.  I plan too much, expect too much and start whining.  Here I am, living in paradise - my idea of paradise - and I am whining.  I guess there is a serpent in every Eden, and it is ourself.

The overcast broke up a bit and we enjoyed blue sky and sunshine until mid afternoon when another solid block of clouds covered them up again.

I went on both walks today.  I really do need the exercise.  Definitely warmer on the afternoon walk.  There seems to be a break at 20, feels much colder if it is below that.  Our high for today was 22.

Friday 12/7. It is 18 and overcast this morning.  JB put a fire in at midnight but I forgot to set the alarm and didn't get up til 5:45 am.  By then the temp had fallen to 63 in the house.

Thought for the day: Sometimes you have to poke holes in the darkness until it bleeds light. Margaret Feinberg

No comments:

Post a Comment