Friday, December 21, 2018

December 21, 2018 Deer & Wind

Our Christmas tree.
Origami money star.















Wednesday 12/19. We received a little more snow last night, but with the wind it is hard to tell just how much.  1/2"?

We are seeing deer almost every day now.  There are at least two small herds who wander through Rose Camp.  As I was blogging this morning, JB was watching the herd with the two bucks.  They have one small doe who must have been born late this year.  One of the other does was nudging her toward a good bush to eat.  The apples are gone, so I put out the last eight of them along with more corn.  It will just be corn for them from now on.

There were lots of Christmas cards in the mail I picked up on Tuesday.  Just one more of the joys of the season.

After their morning walk, JB used the Macintosh to chip almost 2" of ice off the porch steps.  Then he shoveled a short path to the battery room.  I was inside finishing the last Christmas present.  After lunch he baked a pound cake.

Often, as I sit and watch the fire in the wood stove in the evening, I am almost overwhelmed at where I am.  In a cozy "cabin" in the woods, where I have always wanted to be.  How amazing is that?!  I look back at my life and all the brashness of youth, and wonder just how I made it this far.  So very blessed.

Our high for the day was 38 and it was breezy.

Thursday 12/20. It is 30 with fog drifting in and out this morning, and just a trace of new snow.  The sun peeked through the few clouds when the fog was out, which just created more fog.  By 1:00 pm the sun had disappeared behind an overcast sky and the fog sank back down into the canyons, revealing what looked like another storm on its way in from the west.  Just as I went out to bring in the wood and JB went out to get the snow blower started, the storm blew in bringing sleet.  I did get the wood, but JB decided against working out there.  The sleet didn't last too long, but the wind stuck around, gusting to 20 mph and there is more in the forecast.

JB made a big pot of split pea and ham soup that filled the house with a delicious aroma.  Having finished all the gifts, I just hung the laundry and read my book,

Our high for the day was 40 and by sunset, the wind was gusting to 26 mph.  When we talked to Larry on the radio, he said they were getting gusts to 38 mph.  But it was a beautiful moonlit night.

Friday 12/21. On this Winter Solstice morning it is 24 and the wind has calmed.  The sky is scattered with pink clouds as the sun rises.  The deer ate the apples and corn, so I will put more corn out.  JB is going Down There today to do his Christmas shopping.  Tomorrow we will be on our way back to the light.

Thought for the day: The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.  Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment