Monday, April 16, 2012

April 16, 2012

East slope so recently white & now greening up.



Already stacking branch wood
for next winter.












No one on the game cam except for the dogs and us, but it was fascinating to watch the snow melt during week.  There is a small stream running down our driveway from the little snow that is still left.  So nice to be able to walk on firm ground instead of slogging through the snow.  And it is amazing how green the east slope is now as up to 10 days ago it had been white for five months. 

So many small trees seem to have grown dramatically over the winter.  Or maybe just in the past few weeks since it has warmed up.

Slept in on Sunday but still got a lot done outside.  JB worked on building a wooden shelter for the shop generator.  I finished cutting the third pile of branches on the north ridge and trimmed a few trees.  Brought back the last of three wheelbarrow loads of branch wood for the wood shed and stacked it.  While I was working on the north ridge, there was a pull-your-hat-down-and-zip-your-vest-way-up wind blowing in from the west.  I also cleaned up branches and twigs from winter's collection in the grove, and raked up pine needles from the yard.  I don't clean up the needles shed in the autumn so they can be a protecting layer for the grass and flowers.  While raking them away from my "fence", I discovered that several iris are already popping up.  I hope they will bloom this year.

It is so nice to be able to sit on the porch in the sun during our work breaks.  And starting the day sitting there with my coffee is a delight.  Won't be doing that this morning as it is grey and raining.  I try to think of it as April working on May flowers, but it is still grey and wet. . .

I have let my hair grow long this winter so I can wear it pulled up.  Unfortunately it is not nearly as thick as it was when I wore it like that in my 40's and into my 50's.  But whenever I let it grow, I think it must look better and be easier to deal with when it is short.  When I finally do cut it, I like it for a while but then think I like it much better long.  Even now I am tempted to cut it just as it has reached a little below my shoulders.  Ah, the grass is always greener. . .

I have decided that I am receiving too many magazines, so I will not be renewing at least three of them.  They are all interesting and well written, but I have a penchant for cutting out or copying articles.  I have a big filing box full or articles that I will probably never look at again.  All about projects I want to try; products I might be interested in; different gardening techniques; books I want to read; movies I want to see; etc., etc.  I would have to live another 100 years just to read all those books.  And that's only the ones written as of today.  Each week brings more.

And speaking of gardening, I simply do not have a green thumb.  Even though all those articles I cut out make growing a vegetable garden seem as easy as reading a book (which I am very good at).  JB has found a nice sunny place on the west ridge where he is going to put his garden.  I will help, but it will be his project.

Thought for the day:  I'm not getting older.  I'm getting discounts.  (Courtesy of my BFF, Sandy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment