Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April 18, 2012


Frame for JB's greenhouse


My swing!













There was a lazy snow falling when we woke up this morning.  It didn't stick and soon gave way to patches of blue sky.  A bit chilly though - 28.
JB baked dilly bread on Monday.  I have seen several different recipes for dilly bread over the years and tried some of them, but the very best one is from Aunt Nene who discovered it when I was still in high school.  I will post it on my recipe page soon.  JB simply substitued half the necessary flour with Carol's mix (from her cookbook, Gluten Free Quick and Easy) and half with Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking mix.  So delicious!

Monday was grey and wet so we stayed in most of the day.  Tuesday was still grey but at least it was dry so we got out and worked.  I cleared bushes and branches between the tipi and the north ridge.  We put up my swing on the west ridge, overlooking the mountains.  And JB put up the frame for his green house.  He made it from surviving pieces of our car port.  It is 12'X10' and he will cover the frame in heavy "green house" plastic.  He also plans to sink the poles into concrete.

Larry and Elsie drove up to visit Monday evening bringing lots of eggs.  Some for us and some for JB's brother who has the winery.  JB is going to bring back an empty wine cask for them this weekend.  Just perfect for home made hootch.  Larry was able to identify a sound that JB had been hearing the past couple days.  Turns out it is grouse doing their mating season thing.  They have a couple turkeys down at their place who are, shall we say, taking full advantage of the season.

Reader's Digest ain't your Mama's digest any more.  It's very entertaining with some great articles.  However, I strongly disagree with most of "Cheer Up!  17 Reasons It Is a Great Time to be Alive" in last month's issue.  And so does an author in the current issue of Countryside magazine.  She writes an open letter entitled "What on Earth?" which really tears apart most of those 17 reasons.  There are several articles of specific interest to us in this current issue, including a couple on making yogurt, which I really would like to try.  I think I am going to write them a letter though, asking about the difference between oven canning dry food and vaccuum packaging it.

Countryside's note about magazine scams is right on.  I have received scams for renewing a couple of our magazines.  Not a problem for us though as I would never pay as much as they are asking.  And I only renew on offers from the specific magazine and payable to them.  I have even received a couple "collection" notices for NOT renewing!

Regarding my thought for today, even though I worked for StairMaster and then Precor, both of whom had excellent workout rooms available to employees, it was always difficult for me to make time to exercise.  I walked our Greyhounds alot, and to me that was sufficient.  Now exercising comes with our lifestyle.  The BEST way to exercise.  However, I still wash my mouth out with (hot) chocolate on a regular basis.

Thought for the day:  Exercise is a dirty word.  Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment