Friday, August 10, 2012

Aug 10, 2012 Cougars & Bears & Snakes - Oh My!



That pesky bear!


Praying Mantis



















No, we haven't seen any cougars at Rose Camp yet or captured them on our game cam, but that pesky bear was back Wednesday night and completely tore up my path to the north ridge, as you can see in the photo above.  And. . . we have had two rattlers by the house in two days.  JB shot the one on Wednesday afternoon.  He was about 2-1/2 feet long with TEN rattles.  I used my walking sticks on the one yesterday afternoon, and of course he only had four rattles.  But he was a quick one, not coiling, just trying to get away.  JB always gets the big ones.  I think I'm going to keep the big axe on the porch so it is handy from now on.  Will be a lot more efficient than walking sticks.

Well, we're living in a construction zone again.  After the lumber was delivered on Wednesday, we got started actually putting it up about 1:30 pm.  And as of 8:00 pm last night we had almost finished the north wall.  Seems to be taking longer than last time.  At least the weather has been a bit cooler, 77 on Wednesday and 71 yesterday. 

As we lifted one bunch of lumber onto the porch, I almost dropped my end as there was a little praying mantis on top of it.  I'm not skittish around most bugs, but these guys freak me out.  When we lived near Chicago there was on on the side of our house.  I had never seen one before and walked up to it.  This one had to be at least six inches long, and when he turned his head and looked at me, I just screamed and ran.  What can I say.  I can deal with bears and rattle snakes, but not these little guys.

There have also been a lot of grouse near the house lately.  The dogs are having a great time flushing them out.  But poor Jesse is pretty freaked about the snakes.  I'll be glad when we get some green going on all the dirt, as they can be hard to see.

So now it's back to work.  It may be well into next week before we have this project done.

Thought for the day:  You have to choose happiness; it doesn't choose you.

No comments:

Post a Comment