Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Aug 22, 2012 Busy Woodpecker



Woodpecker after the bug
in our fence pole


Moonset Monday night



















When we built our fence, all the poles were fir except for two end poles which are pine.  For the past few weeks we have heard an insect of some sort in both the pine poles, obviously chewing from the inside.  We can actually see the sawdust being pushed out of tiny holes!  Well, yesterday a woodpecker must of heard the noise also and got busy on one of the poles trying to get at whatever bug it is.  (See photo above.)  He has pecked out several large holes and peeled off a lot of the bark.  Between both the bug and the bird we will probably wake up one morning to find the pole on the ground!

The haze has cleared so I assume the fires are out or at least well under control.  Thank goodness.

Over the weekend I unpacked our large, framed art and tried to figure out where to hang them.  Yesterday we hung most of them and I am so pleased with the way they turned out.  Just a little tweeking to do, and the walls will be done.  Yes!!

I also unpacked the last of our "town" clothes from a large moving box for hanging clothes.  It has been a closet of sorts for the past four years, but I finally emptied it and put it in the recycle shed.  Certainly gave us a lot more room in the loft.  There were only three dresses of mine in there and I am keeping all of them: my leather Indian dress from our Rendesvousing years; the dress I wore to our son's wedding; and my favorite party dress.  I may never wear any of them again, but I refuse to get rid of them.  There were also my Mom's and Dad's Marine Corps uniforms, which I am keeping for our son.  The rest of the items were JB's long-sleeved dress shirts and slacks from work.  He got rid of all but three shirts and two pair of slacks.  Am going Down There today and will drop off several bags at the resale store.

I kept three of JB's light cotton shirts with his company's logo on them (would have had to just throw them away).  My good friend in Chicago who passed away last December told me that when her husband retired she kept his dress shirts for night gowns.  So I cut the sleeves and collar off each of the shirts, and, Viola!  Three free night shirts.  I did that on Saturday and thought about her all day.  Her husband called Monday night and we hadn't heard from him since January. . .  Synchronicity.

I waited until today for my trip Down There as it is supposed to be much cooler, and it is 44 with a breeze this morning.  Yesterday was only 76 and very pleasant.  After all this heat, I here and now promise to never again complain about a cool, wet summer.  (Well,  at least not until we have another one. . .)

Yesterday JB pulled the rest of our onions from the garden as there were only a few left.  He also dug up the Yukon Golds at the south end that were not doing so well.  They are all kind of small, but very tasty.  Am anxious to see how the potatoes at the north end will be like as those plants are almost two feet tall and doing great.

Thought for the day:  Don't let yesterday use up today.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment