Monday, August 27, 2012

Aug 27, 2012 Great Weekend

Fawn track compared
to JB's hand

Fawn and Mom in background
















Feels good to once again be really working outside.  The past three days I have been clearing branch wood off the west ridge and slope.  There were two small and one large pile I've been working on.  I'm down to half of the large pile, and have the first row of branch wood done in the wood shed, up to the roof.

JB went Down There on Friday to check out battery chain saws, inverters and small generators.  The chain saw is way too expensive, and we have decided that JB will cut the small wood with his chain saw this Fall.  Yesterday he build a 3-piece holder for the wood that we saw in one of our magazines.  It allows you to cut several pieces at once.  Hopefully we will get started cutting today.  Will figure out what to do with my chain saw next year.  There is a small inverter available that has a pure sine wave, so we will deal with that next month.

Last time Larry and Elsie were up we talked about visiting another couple who were planning on being up for the weekend.  Their property is on the other side of the canyon and we had never been there.  So Saturday after dinner, we loaded up the dogs and headed out for the three-mile drive.  When we arrived, the men and boys were out shooting but the women were enjoying the campfire.  Their niece and family were up for the weekend.  Soon Larry and Elsie arrived, and the men walked down to watch the target practice.  Shortly after the men and boys came back, another couple from the canyon arrived.  It was a great evening of camaraderie and laughter.  Definitely going to have to get out more often. . .

Sunday morning RJ came up for breakfast and JB fixed us cranberry muffins (which were out of the oven before I even got out of bed), bacon, hash browns and scrambled eggs with onions and tomatoes.  When we finally waddled out to say goodbye to RJ, we promised to come down and visit him on Tuesday.  I had popped down Saturday afternoon to see the work he's doing and was duly impressed.

So much going on that I needed a nap yesterday.  Plus on Friday while I was pulling out all those branches, something got down my shirt and I have a large group of bites on my side by my waist.  Very sore, but much better after I took some ibuprofen for my achey joints.  Had forgotten how the first cold weather really affects them. . .

Thought for the day:  25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no cash and no hope.  (Seen on a t-shirt, available at favorites.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment