Friday, August 31, 2012

Aug 31, 2012 The Assessor


One really big cloud

A car we didn't recognize pulled up to our house Wednesday morning.  Probably a good thing I didn't walk out with my carrying my shotgun, although when I found out the identity of the our visitor I wanted to go get it.  The County Assessor.  Finally.  After four years.  Guess we couldn't stay under their radar forever.  Will be interesting to see what value he sets on our home.  I certainly hope he takes into account accessability, or lack thereof.  May have to record all but one acre of our property in timber, which will greatly reduce our taxes.

While stocking up for winter, I have discovered Torani's Dark Spicy Chocolate Syrup for coffee.  Oh, my.  With that and my Schnapps, it's going to be a very good winter. . .

Spent Wednesday and Thursday cutting firewood and got a total of nine loads to the wood shed with a large stack for the splitter.  That made another 1/2 row of stick wood and 1/4 of a 16' row of standard size wood.  

We have put our plans on hold til next year for an addition to the shop in which to work on MAX.  Just not enough money or energy left.  We will just work on our ATV out in the snow if need be, like we have for the past four years.  Hopefully there will be no need.

The humming birds have gone, which, according to our neighbor, means that winter will arrive on time.  (Supposedly winter will be late if they stay into September.)  Had to empty out the last of the syrup from the feeder.  The butterflies have also disappeared.  Never did see any Monarchs this year.  Still alot of grasshoppers though.  Some of the bushes are turning orange, as are the rose hips.  The dogs have begun to bring back seeds in their fur when they return from their escapades.  No rain yet, and if Seattle doesn't get any rain by today, the 40-day dry span will break all the records.  Quite the opposite of the bible's record of 40 days of rain. . .

Didn't realize how bad I had been feeling since Friday when I got all those bites on my waist, until I woke up this morning and felt so much better.  It is still very sore, but my energy is back along with my good mood.  Guess I just had to fight and sweat out the venom of whatever insect (spider?) it was that bit me.  I know it wasn't a brown recluse as my skin isn't disappearing into a mass of yuck.  It's just still a little red with a few bumps.

JB and I are going Down There today as there are several good Labor Day sales.  (Made the mistake of getting the Sunday paper with included all the advertisements.)  This time we loaded the cardboard and paper for recycle last night.  It will be too warm to take the dogs, but we shouldn't be gone too long for them.

Thought for the day:  There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it.  Christopher Darlington Morley


 

No comments:

Post a Comment