Monday, December 24, 2012

Dec 24, 2012 Merry Christmas!




My bench on the north ridgs


On Friday it started snowing about 7:30 am, but I made eggnogged coffee instead of cocoa.  When JB took the dogs on their morning walk and cleaned the panels, Jesse did not come back with him.  Very unusual because the dogs get their mid day treat then.  After 1/2 hour, I bundled up to go look for him, taking the gun, and caught myself saying, "I don't need my overalls.  It's warm out there today."  It was 18.  I met him half way down the driveway, but as soon as I gave him his treat, he wanted out again.  This time Dinga followed.  They were back in a little while, but we think he found the remains of a fresh kill or made his own.  His odiferous emissions for the rest of the day confirmed it.

After lunch I baked sweet potato bread from the recipe in BackHome.  Very good!  Like pumpkin bread, only better.

JB measured 1-3/4" of snow on our walk at 4:00 pm, but it sure seemed like there should have been at least an inch more for all that I saw falling during the day.

Saturday morning we had 3" of snow by 9:30 am.  JB shoveled the paths to the south of the house and cleaned the panels.  I took the dogs for their morning walk.  Ran the generator for a few hours as the batteries were getting low.  Used that opportunity to thoroughly vacuum.

After lunch JB shoveled the paths to the north of the house.  It's not the normal white fluff, but rather wet and heavy.  It stopped snowing about 1:30 pm after the clouds had dropped a total of 4".  Then the clouds gradually melted into blue sky and the sun shone brightly on the whiteness of our landscape.  The fog tried unsucessfully to creep up from the canyons.  However, by the time we left for our afternoon walk, the sun was too low to keep burning it off and the fog had moved in. . . but disappeared after darkness descended and I watched the stars appear and the moon rise above the tree tops.  Moonlight on the snow is even better that the sunshine.  Something magical about it.  At any moment I expect to see winter fairies cavorting about.

During the night the fog had sneaked back in and we were socked in again Sunday morning.  JB had to scrape ice off the panels.  Always a good cardio workout.  The dogs came back with him with frosted eyebrows and icy beards.  It started snowing mid morning which thankfully forced out the fog.

After lunch JB drove MAX down our road and back.  We've received more than 8" since he last packed it down.  The dogs stayed home with me as JB likes to go fast down the road so as not to get bogged down in the snow.  Too fast for the dogs for that long.  He drives slowly on the way back up in order to widen the tracks.  It wasn't long before he was back and zipping along the driveway to the south ridge and around the house.

He also did a lot of cooking yesterday.  Popovers for breakfast.  Pea soup for dinner.  And cranberry-orange scones for breakfast this morning, which I will enjoy as soon as I hit "publish."

After our afternoon walk yesterday, I have decided that it is time to break out the snow shoes.  I already have them out on the porch.  We just need to dig them out of the snow blown in from the wind storm.

The downey woodpecker is back and working hard on one of our end fence poles.  At this rate we will have to replace half of the poles next summer!

I have discovered a new holiday drink - eggnog and Sprite!  It's basically an eggnog float and is sooo good.  I think the original Cream Sodas were just that - cream and soda water with a little vanilla.

And so it is Christmas Eve.  With just the two of us, I get a little melancholy in the evening, but I awake on Christmas morning with the excitement of a child.
Thought for the day:  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold I bring good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.  Luke 2:10,11

No comments:

Post a Comment