Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dec 5, 2012 Wind!





Monday - no snow Down There and
very little Up Here

Sunny and blue most of the morning, until it gradually became grey and overcast by mid afternoon. Was busy all day inside: finished my Christmas cards and addressed them all, wrapped the last of the gifts and got them packaged for mailing. JB worked on wrapping up his timber project.  Not quite ready for me to take Down There this week, so he will do it next week.  No time for decorating. Maybe today. . . 

Celeste had included season four of "Castle" in the box she sent, so we are watching that almost every night, along with season one of "The Dresden Files" that I discovered and purchased on line. Not much like the books, but I am hooked.

We awoke to about 2" of snow Tuesday morning. Heavy, wet snow. Left very slowly for Down There about 9:00 am. A slushy, mushy, mucky mess. But there was no snow by the time I got down to Larry and Elsie’s. They just got rain. Got all my errands and shopping done, with time to stop in and visit Larry and Elsie at their shop. Felt so good to get all the cards and packages mailed!  But I really shouldn't go shopping in December.  Too many goodies on sale and I am much inclined to spend more and give more during the holidays.  There was an article in the paper about a miniature horse that the Salvation Army has somewhere in Wisconsin ringing a bell for donations.  He brings in at least ten times more than his human counterparts.  Good thing he isn't in Wenatchee or I would be completely broke!

It was very windy all night and is still blowing. Neither of us got much sleep. I finally got up at 3:00 am and read my book for about an hour. Eight down and twenty to go. I’m sure we will use part of this sunny day for napping.

I am almost sure that we lost a box or two in our move out here in 2008. Nothing really important or valuable, just a few things I know I packed but simply did not arrive. Like my Tupperware cake keeper and a few pots for indoor plants. Oh well.

With all our time for cooking, we are learning more about spices than just salt, pepper, garlic, cinnamon, basil and marjoram. They were always my staples. But now we are using such things as fennel (which seems similar to anise). Last week I purchased a new bottle of tarragon after finally tossing my old bottle that had to be at least 15 years old. (I’ve never been one for replacing spices that weren’t finished.) Now I’ve discovered that I really like tarragon. Seems to be reminiscent of nutmeg.

Thought for the day:  When they call the roll in the Senate, the senators do not know whether to answer "present" or "guilty."  Teddy Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment