Monday, December 31, 2012

Dec 31, 2012 Happy New Year!




Clouds moving in from the SW
Sunday afternoon


Looking down the main canyon road
Friday morning






















Clearing our road Friday morning didn't take as long as clearing the drivway had.  Except for where our road meets the main canyon road, we didn't need to shovel much.  We just worked on our road, but will probably go aways down the main road this week.  The dogs got lots of exercise, but Jesse road up the driveway with us.  Thankful for the respite, I'm sure.

Was foggy all day.  It ebbed and flowed, but never did completely clear out.  When we have what looks like valley fog to us, it is usually more like a low cloud once we get in town.

We did dishes and laundry after lunch, then just relaxed.

Saturday was overcast and 11 degrees when we awoke.  Snowflakes began drifting down when JB and the dogs went for their morning walk, but then gave way to sun and blue skies within a couple hours and warmed up to 20.  The clouds moved back in and it started snowing again around 2:00 pm and continued into the night, which is actually starting a little later now.  I love the winter solstice, even though it often gets overlooked amidst the Christmas festivities.  Used to be the other way around. . .

JB drove MAX down our road to widen and flatten it more, and made several trips.  The dogs stayed home with me.  I defrosted the fridge, shoveled off the deck (much easier to do 3" than 10"!), got firewood and made dinner.

I am in no hurry to take down the Christmas decorations.  I usually do it before New Years, but I put them up so late this year that I want to enjoy them a little longer.

Sunday.  Waking on sunny mornings and watching the glitter floating from the trees is pure magic.  The frigid temperatures we have been experiencing keep the fallen snow flakes tiny and crisp.  Any snow that fell wet has turned dry and light.  It's almost like being in a snow globe that has been very gently nudged.  There is no visible breeze, just fairy breath and sunshine, and tiny diamonds hardly big enough to feel gravity.  Just too beautiful to stay inside.

JB drove MAX around the house and up the road to the south ridge, again and again, to flatten and widen.  I went for a walk taking photos and playing with the dogs.  However I did put on my snow shoes which made moving around so much easier.  No trudging or slogging.

By 3:00 pm the only blue sky left was a thin line to the north.  Our high for the day was 22, but it seemed colder.  By the time the sun disappeared, it was quite obvious which is the south side of each tree near the south ridge and the few others that are unsheltered from the winter sun.  One side was green and the other still white.

Both of us also finished our books, reluctantly.  I am sure I will read A Discovery of Witches at least once more before the next book in the trilogy comes out in paperback.  It was so much like climbing into another world and immersing myself.  I also started making Valentine's Day cards.  With all that sun, it was no problem using my embossing gun.

The current National Geographic is a fascinating 125th Anniversary Special Issue.  Definitely going to keep this one.

Can't believe how many days I had to crawl under the house last winter and did it so willingly.  Any thought of doing that now makes me cringe.  It's dry under there except for sweating along the sides.  Hopefully we can get it all dried out by next winter.

We have fog and 10 degrees this morning.  Maybe I'll just hibernate today.

Thought for the day:  The color of springtime is in the flowers, the color of winter is in the imagination.  Terri Guillemets

No comments:

Post a Comment