Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Dec 26, 2012 And the Adventure Continues




JB leaving for Down There on
Christmas Eve morning

Monday dawned clear and cold with seven new inches of snow.  It's a good thing that JB had packed down the road a bit on Sunday.  He cleaned off the panels and left for Down There at 9:00 am, after we had his scrumptious scones for breakfast.  I got out and shoveled the paths to the north of the house, and the deck.  It had been a few days since I had cleaned off the deck and there was 10" of snow on it!  It was a good workout but very exhilerating on such a brilliant day with such incredible views.

After lunch I spent time on the computer trying to catch up on my e-mail.  Finally heard from JB a little after 2:00 pm.  Going down the mountain was fairly easy, but he said he was having a hard time getting back up.  Had to get out and shovel every few yards.  His phone was dying and he thought it would be at least two more hours before he made it home.  When I didn't see or hear from him by 4:00 pm, I reluctantly called Larry and Elsie.  I felt awful to bother them on Christmas Eve, but I was getting concerned about JB.  Ever willing to help, Larry and his son, who is home for the holidays, chained up their side-by-side ATV and went looking for JB.  I was trying to remain calm, but all I could think about was JB face down in the snow because of a heart attack.  Can't remember when I've prayed so hard. . .  Wanted to keep busy, so I made up a platter of sausage, cheese, olives and crackers for our Christmas Eve dinner that I knew he would be home to share.  I finally got a call from Larry about 5:15 pm saying that they had found him and helped him get to the flat spot at the beginning of our road.  He was on his way up our road which should be no problem, but with the load JB had, Larry wasn't sure he'd make it up our driveway.

Shaking with relief, I got bundled up to go down the driveway to meet him.  Grabbed the gun, flashlight and sled.  As I got close to the bottom, I could see the lights of MAX and, sure enough, JB couldn't make it up any further.  We loaded the sled with food boxes and I pulled it up to the house while JB just rested and waited for me to get back.  We then put the rest of his load on the sled, having to leave one box.  Covered MAX up with the tarp and tied it down, then up the driveway we went.  The dogs were having great fun. . .

"The moon on the crest ot the new fallen snow" was magical and I fully expected to hear jingle bells and see a sleigh with eight tiny reindeer.  Certainly took my mind of two trips up the driveway pulling a heavy sled.  I'm surprised JB made it all the way up without my having to pull him on the sled also.  He had probably shoveled 1/2 a mile or more.  But we all finally made it to the house at 7:00 pm, and simply fell into chairs.  Thank goodness I already had our dinner ready.  I made us each a cup of tea and we just sat and talked.  Sorted out the Christmas cards from the rest of the mail, then started to read the papers but we were both exhausted.  JB was in bed by nine and I was there by ten.  It was an ibuprofen and thankful night for both of us.

My bladder woke me up at 2:30 am, so I put in a fire.  Got back in bed at 3:00 am and JB was wide awake too.  So we both got up and had tea and scones, and just watched the fire.  By 4:00 am we were back in bed, but up again at 7:00 am.  Christmas morning!!  And it was a typical Christmas day with opening our gifts; phone calls from our family and friends; a big brunch cooked by JB (this year a fritatta with sweet peppers, sausage and cheese).  The best gift we received did not need to be opened.  The gift of good friends who are there when you need them. . .  But I now also have enough books, chocolate, puzzle books to last into Spring.  The only work we did was for me to bring in fire wood, while JB cleaned off the panels and shoveled out the path to the wood shed. 

Today we will go down and dig MAX out, and try to drive him up the driveway.  It snowed all day Tuesday, and by 3:00 pm we had almost another 3".  It is snowing again this morning, but according to NOAA, this is the last of it until New Year's Day.

Tomorrow is our 43rd wedding anniversary.  There was a time on Monday afternoon when I wondered if we would both be here to celebrate it. . .

Thought for the day:  Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment