Friday, September 20, 2013

Sept 20, 2013 Potato Pancakes & Naps

Another great sunset.

Wednesday 9/18.  It was a leisurely trip Down There today.  There was no rush, as I had til 12:30 pm to meet the man with the rain barrels.  My favorite store, Fred Meyer, is being remodeled so I got to take my time going up and down the aisles.  I usually want to get back home and just look for what is on my list.

Our meet for the barrels was across the Wenatchee River near Big Lots, so I checked out that store when we were done.  The barrels are great, especially for the price, and the man gave me some hints for setting up several in a row.

While I was gone, JB used the tractor to level out the dirt just to the north of the shop.  We want the water that comes off the deck to drain down the slope and not into the grove.

Our high for the day was only 56.  On these cool days and throughout the winter, we keep the curtain door to the bedroom closed as we like to have the window open a bit and want to keep the cool air away from the rest of the house.  Jesse's favorite place to be during the day is on our bed, so in the cool weather he makes a "nest" to sleep in.  And that is what he began doing today.

For dinner, I had found a recipe for potato pancakes that sounded very good.  They are one of our favorite foods, but I have never been able to make them like the ones we had in restaurants in Chicago.  Well, these turned out perfectly!  The trick seems to be to grate them into a bowl lined with a kitchen towel, then use the towel to squeeze all the water out.  Needless to say, we just pigged out, eating them with applesauce and sour cream.

Thursday 9/19.  It was 34 and clear this morning.  We had been wanting to go Down There to check out the new farmer's market that is inside a large old warehouse building that has been redone.  It even has a huge sign outside like the one at Seattle's Pike Street market that says "Public Market".  So we left at 9:00 am to do just that and run a few errands.  Thursday is probably their slowest day, but we got the gist of it and will probably go again on Saturday or Wednesday when they have the actual Farmer's Market.  We still were able to buy some fresh, local vegetables at the permanent booths they have.

We were back early afternoon and I took a nap.  I love naps!  And not just the nap itself, but my ability to take one almost any time I want to.  Don't have to ask permission.  Don't have to go home "sick."  I can just go lie down when the mood strikes.

Today, as the last few days, I put in a small fire in the evening and one in the morning just to take the chill out.

Friday 9/20.  This morning is 40 and clear, with a forecast of rain for the weekend.  RJ is up at his cabin this week, so we will probably have him for dinner or breakfast soon.

Thought for the day:  Life is not an easy matter. . . you cannot live through it without falling into frustration and cynicism unless you have before you a great idea which raises you above personal misery, above weakness, above all kinds of perfidy and baseness.  Leon Trotsky  

No comments:

Post a Comment