Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Sept 4, 2013

Some of the fireweed blooming in our yard.

Monday 9/2.  Out to split wood again this morning.  Was able to get two loads done and stacked with JB's help on the tractor before it was just too warm.  Just as I was stacking the last load, Mike called to say they would all be up to visit shortly on their way home.  So JB had a chance to see everyone and we had a good visit.  They may all be back up after Halloween for RJ's birthday.  He is staying for the week and will be up Wednesday for dinner and Magic cards.

After dinner JB watched one of our Celtic Women videos while I got on line to purchase a gift for our niece's baby shower and check out the sale at gohastings.com.  I love their one-day specials - 40% off your entire purchase of used DVDs if you buy four items or more.  Well, I bought a lot more, as I was able to find several movies and four TV series that we wanted at incredible prices.  Got the second season of Downton Abbey for only $9.00.  Woo Hoo!

Tuesday 9/3.  It was overcast and 54 this morning.  We had a passing shower at 3:00 am.  I know because I was sitting at the kitchen table.  My phone had rung at 1:30 am - a wrong number - and I could not get back to sleep.  So I did some crossword puzzles and sudoku, then finally fixed myself some warm milk and honey.  A remedy my Mother always recommended for insomnia, only I also had some melatonin.  Back to bed at 3:45 am and was soon asleep again.

There is a nasty thunderstorm in the forecast for Thursday that may produce hail, severe winds and flooding.  I can hardly wait. . .

We were out right after breakfast to split and stack three loads of wood on the porch with JB driving the tractor again.  I finished all the wood that Jake had brought in.  Still have some cherry wood left along with a couple stumps, not to mention a full cradle.  I just want to get as much done as possible before Thursday's storm.

After lunch I took Jesse with me to fill up all our water containers.  He is such a good travelling companion, as opposed to Dinga who barks at every passing branch and bush.  I also took several pieces of cherry wood down for Larry and Elsie.  It was definitely time for a nap when we got back home.

The squirrels and chipmunks are gathering and eating food for the winter.  The floor of the grove is littered with fir cones, and there are pine "cobs" everywhere.  The chipmunks who are living in the wood shed are driving Dinga and Jesse crazy now that they are out and about foraging.

The overcast skies cleared but storm clouds gathered in the west and moved to the north and east of us quietly dropping their rain.  A few skittered across above us, but nothing fell.

We sure have seen a lot more little tree frogs than ususal this summer, and have a very vocal one under the house.  A few evenings ago there were two serenading us from under the porch.

The finches and nuthatches have returned, along with at least one woodpecker.  We are usually quite birdless in August, except for the swallows on the south ridge.  I think the rest of them go down to the orchards for the ripe fruit.

This evening we decided to start watching Fringe again.  One of my very favorite TV series.

Wednesday 9/4.  It is partly cloudy and 55, with a 40% chance of rain.  Hopefully we can get the last of the wood split and stacked today.

Thought for the day:  If the doors of perception were cleansed, every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite.  For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.  William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment