Monday, September 9, 2013

Sept 9, 2013 Happy Birthday to Celeste & Mike!

Lookout atop a pole in the woodshed pen.
A close-up of the lookout.




















Friday 9/6. Fog crept in around 8:00 am, which is something we haven't seen in a long time.  A few downpours moved through during the day, each accompanied by a crash or two of thunder.  The tail end of the storm.  So glad I swept out all our little drain channels yesterday before this all started.  They are working perfectly to take most of the water away from the house without damming up.

The sun came out about 3:00 pm and the sky cleared.  Our high for the day was only 53.

We had a grub box in the tipi that we moved to the porch which will be perfect for my winter outdoor refrigerator.  We originally bought it for rendezvousing.

Am looking for a source of potable water who can deliver at least 500 gallons for our cistern.  Do not want to start the winter with it empty.

Saturday, 9/7.  Today is JB's Mom's 92nd birthday!  And she is still going strong.  Happy Birthday, Celeste!

It was foggy and 46 this morning and I was tempted to put in a fire, but it really wasn't too cold, just felt like it when I looked out the window.  However, by 1:00 pm it really was definitely chilly enough inside to build a fire.  So I did.  The first one since late Spring.  It was so nice.  Even Jesse snuggled up to the stove.

The dogs and I went for a walk down the road in the morning, during which I added a bunch of long branch wood to a pile already started on the east slope.  I will gather all of them with the trailer after everything dries out.  Glad we went when we did because several showers moved through during the afternoon.  But no thunder today.

After lunch I worked on cleaning up my computer desk.  JB scrubbed the stove top.  Both chores were long overdue.

I made scalloped potatoes and ham for dinner with freshly harvested Yukon gold potatoes from our garden.  Mmmmm.

By 6:00 pm the fog began to dissolve, revealing blue sky and some clouds.  Our high for the day was only 50.

Larry and Elsie drove up to visit bringing garden goodies - zucchini, yellow squash, beets and peppers - and eggs.  So good to see them as they hadn't been up since Jake was here.

After they left, we watched "The Hobbit" which is not quite as intriguing as the first installment of "Lord of the Rings", but I enjoyed it.

Sunday, 9/8.  It was a late night so hadn't bothered to set the alarm.  JB didn't get up til 8:30 am, and I made it out of bed at 9:00 am.  The sky was clear and it was 50 degrees outside.  A beautiful morning.

After breakfast I spent an hour or so splitting most of the odd-sized pieces of wood we had left.  Then after lunch, JB drove the tractor almost up to the peak so we could gather some large rocks in the bucket.  He made three trips and we got several nice ones which we will use at vees in the driveway and by the well.

I finished a very good book, The Last Surgeon by Michael Palmer.  A new author for me.

Monday, 9/9.  Today is Mike's 15th birthday - Happy Birthday, Mike!

Another clear day and 52.  I am going Down There to do laundry and grocery shopping.  Hopefully the road has dried out a bit.

Thought for the day:  When you are always trying to conform to the norm, you lose your uniqueness, which can be the foundation for your greatness.  Dale Archer

No comments:

Post a Comment