Wednesday, July 1, 2015

July 1, 2015 Go-Bags & Tomatoes

Deer brush along our road.




Monday 6/29. We have six little tomatoes on one of the plants that Elsie gave us.  So looking forward to when they are ripe!

Certainly enjoying the coolness and the rain-freshened air.  The house finally had a chance to cool down, just in time for the next heat wave.  Our high for the day was "only" 84.

JB's Mom sent her sewing machine home with JB for me.  So thankful for it, and have several items in need of repair.  I know I will put it to good use throughout the coming years.

I packed my go-bag while JB was gone and now he is going to pack his.  I got to worrying about all my photo albums and decided they simply needed to be downsized.  So, starting with the earliest ones, I am taking the photos out of the albums; sorting them out; throwing away some and giving away others.  I was able to put six-albums worth into one small shoe-size box.  The albums I have created with decorated pages, I will just keep as is.  This is going to take a while, but hopefully I can finish up this week.

After dinner I drove Miss Kitty down to Elsie's to pick pie cherries.  Got two big containers of them and plan to make and can pie filling.

JB shaved off his beard, as he usually does this time of year.  Very disconcerting, as he looks so different.

Sat on the porch this evening and enjoyed the cool breeze.

Tuesday 6/30. It was 70 and clear this morning.  I was up early to shower and go Down There for groceries before it gets back into the 100's again.  The first time I got up was at 4:30 to let the dogs out.  They encountered a skunk again and I had to wash off Jesse a bit.  Not too bad, but it completely woke me up and I didn't get much more sleep before I got back up at 7:30.

My cousin from southern California called me just as I was leaving as he saw the news of the fire last night.  We don't talk very often, which is unfortunate, but we had a great chat, with the promise to call more.

In town I could smell the smoke from the fire, which is now almost completely out except for one of the warehouses that is still smoking a bit.  Twenty-eight home were lost and 4000 acres burned.  With no laundry to do, I was home by 12:30 pm.

There are huge deer-brush bushes everywhere this year, and along the road in places it is like driving through a tunnel of white lace.  Seems to be at least three times as many as usual.

Worked on my photo albums again for a few hours.  It is like reliving my life.  So many memories.

The heat isn't so bad when the nights are cool.  I can only hope it will continue like this.

Wednesday 7/1. It is 68 and clear this morning.  Will probably spend the day sorting photos.

Thought for the day: It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly. Bertrand Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment