Monday, July 6, 2015

July 6, 2015 Family Genaeology

Fire weed and lacy deer brush.




Friday 7/3. I have decided to relinquish my position as keeper of the records for both sides of my family.  I don't feel like all the documents, photos and letters I have, going back to the late 1800's, are as safe Up Here as they might be Down There somewhere.  And it is time for the next generation to enjoy them.  Several years ago I scanned most of the photos into my computer and gave copies to everyone on discs.  Getting rid of the originals will be very difficult as I have been collecting them for decades. 

I sent emails out to my cousins to see who would be interested in taking over.

I almost gave JB a heart attack when I went out to dump the eight or so bags of perfect pine cones I had collected and been saving in the wood shed.  Guess it's time to get rid of everything I don't need.  Pass it on or dump it.  I can always find more pine cones when I decide what projects I want to use them for.

I started scanning in all the documents, photos and letters for my Mother's side of the family that I wanted.  I have five binders full that are fairly well organized.  A cousin on my Mother's side, who lives on the east coast, very quickly volunteered to take over, so JB will mail the first box to him on Tuesday. 

Our high for the day was 92, but there was a breeze.

Watched more episodes of Justified this evening.  After sitting through two or three of them, I'm drawlin' just like I was born in the Kentucky backwoods.  I really think I must have been a southerner in some previous life.  This just comes to easily.

Saturday 7/4. We were up at 6:30 am to do some work outside while it was still cool.  It was 69 with a breeze.  I had dumped all my saved pine cones on the small swale with a lot of dry, cut grass.  Because of the heat and fire danger, I wanted to get that all covered with dirt.  Only took about an hour.

Larry and Elsie left this morning for a three-day mini-vacation on their favorite lake.  I'll be watering their gardens and feeding their cats and chickens for them while they are gone.

I spent the rest of the day scanning items into my computer and actually just about finished.  Then drove Miss Kitty down to Larry and Elsie's after dinner.

Our high for the day was 91, but it didn't seem that hot.  I think that's because it has been cooling off more at night, allowing the house to cool down also.  Or maybe we're just getting used to it.

Finished watching season five of Justified, and now have to look for a good deal on their last season.

Sunday 7/5. It was 68 with hazy skies and a distinct smell of smoke at 7:00 this morning.  JB got on line and found that there are three fires in north central Washington, although none of them are close to us: one near Lake Wenatchee; one near Lake Chelan; and a new one on Blewett Pass.

I left at 7:30 for Larry and Elsie's.  Fire weed is blooming along the road in many places.  Their vivid pink mixing with the white lace of the deer brush.  There are also patches of purple asters.

Spent more time scanning in the last of the items that I wanted.  All in all I had scanned in more than 270 pages.

Again, after dinner, I drove down to Larry and Elsie's.  Not as much of a breeze this evening, but our high for the day was only 84.

Monday 7/6. It is an incredibly lovely 64 this morning with blue sky and no smokey haze.  Am looking forward to my drive down to Larry and Elsie's.

Thought for the day: Never get rid of the desire to climb a tree or run through the sprinklers. via purpleclover.com

No comments:

Post a Comment