Friday, July 17, 2015

July 17, 2015 Back in the Saddle Again!


Rose on Rusty.


Wednesday 7/15. I spent an hour weed eating this morning and didn't work nearly as hard as I did yesterday.  Finished with the north side and around the hen house, then the west side along the drive.  

I started scanning in documents, photos and letters from my Dad's side of the family.  My cousin, Nene's son, is going to take all this information and keep it for the family.  I will take it over when I go to her place in September.

The girls have only been giving us one egg a day, and sometimes none, for the past few weeks.  At first I thought it was because of the heat, but now I realize it is because two of them are molting.  I guess they don't do it the same time every year, as last year it was in September.

We have another pair of nesting wrens.  They built their nest in the V of the tipi poles!  We can hear the hatchlings each time one of the parents gets near.

JB rinsed out Larry's sprayer and took it back to him after dinner.  I raked up some of the longer grass I had cut and pulled out one of the huge fire weed plants that had been blown over.

It was clear this morning but clouds soon moved in and then out again.  This went on all day til sunset when it was clear again.  Our high for the day was 78, but there was a light wind that kept it comfortable.

Thursday 7/16. It was 54 and overcast with a light wind this morning.  Lovely coolness!

No weed eating today.  I gave my muscles a rest and planned to do inside projects like the dog broth and cherry pie filling.  Just as I was getting the cherries ready, Mrs. Gridder's Dad came riding down our south ridge on his horse!  A beautiful pied by the name of Rusty, or Freckles as his wife calls him.

We sat on the porch and had a nice visit, and then I got to ride Rusty.  It's been more than ten years since I have been in the saddle and I have missed it so.  I rode him around Rose Camp a bit, but it had been a long, uphill ride to get here so I wanted to be sure he was rested for the ride back down.  They had come up the back way and not the road.  Next time he will bring his other horse also and I will meet him at the Gridder's place.  Then we will both ride up together and he may camp Up Here for the night.

After he left, I made the cherry pie filling.  Just enough for two coffee cakes, one of which I will make tomorrow and freeze the rest.  Turned out very good, with just the right amount of tartness.  Couldn't wipe that smile off my face for the rest of the day though. . .

We watched Noah this evening.  Has to be one of - if not THE - hokiest movies I have ever seen.

Friday 7/17. It is 58 and mostly cloudy this morning.  Still smiling.

Thought for the day: Adults are always asking children what they want to be when they grow up because they are looking for ideas. Paula Poundstone

No comments:

Post a Comment