Wednesday, July 15, 2015

July 15, 2015 A New Toy

Rose by one of the fire weed plants.





Monday 7/13. We looked at a couple different models of weed eaters and, based on our previous research, we purchased a Stihl model FS 70, which is their professional model.  Did some grocery shopping and as we headed for home, we could see that it was raining at Rose Camp.  Woo Hoo!  I actually had to turn on the windshield wipers before we left the pavement.  Almost forgot were they were.  The fresh scent of the rain in the air was absolutely revitalizing.

On our drive down we saw four large wild turkey hens on the road.  They ran in front of us for a ways before darting into the bushes.  Too bad it's not closer to Thanksgiving.

After a dust-free drive back up the mountain, we unloaded everything and relaxed, reading the papers and magazines.  

The fire weed Up Here seems to have bloomed again after going to seed a bit.  It is so pretty and the plants have grown so big.

Dark clouds continued to blow across the sky the rest of the day until about 9:00 pm, when they all disappeared to the east.  Our high for the day was 74.

Tuesday 7/14. It was a lovely, cool 58 this morning with clear skies.

I got dressed for using the weed eater by mid-morning, and attacked the grasses and weeds on the north side of the house.  The machine only weighs ten pounds, but it will take practice in balancing and maneuvering it.  I did manage to do a pretty good job for about half an hour, and got a lot done.  I kept waiting to see pieces of a snake to go flying, but never did.  Will do some more tomorrow morning.

The Aug-Sept issue of Cowboys & Indians is the best one I have ever read!  Great articles about fascinating people.

A very interesting "Home & Heart" article by Kathleen Jarschke-Shultze in the July-Aug issue of Home Power magazine entitled "Homestead Water-Wizardry".  She lives in northern California and their water sources are producing less water each year.

So much in the papers and on the internet about all the presidential candidates spouting their political rhetoric.  I love to read about Donald Trump.  He is honest and does not have to kowtow to any special interests.  I can't picture me voting for him but, if by some miracle or disaster, he is the GOP candidate, I wouldn't hesitate.  NO way am I voting for a Democrat, well unless perhaps Elizabeth Warren runs. . .  Did I just write that?!

But, back to reality, I think JB and I are eating healthier this summer as opposed to the colder weather.  And I think I have lost a pound or two, in spite of the Sees candy.  More fruits and veggies, less carbs.  Lighter meals with smaller helpings.

Many of the humming birds seem to have moved on.  I haven't filled the feeders for three days now, and I had been filling them on a daily basis.  There are lots of other birds around though, and they are all enjoying the bird bath although they seem to be drinking rather than bathing.

We saw and heard a rattle snake on our afternoon walk, but it was in the bushes to the side of the road so I wasn't able to get it.  Sounded like a big one.

We saw a few clouds today, but the skies remained mostly clear and our high for the day was 74 again.  A very pleasant 74.

Wednesday 7/15. It is 56 and clear this morning.  I plan to get outside soon and do some more weed eating.  Rose Camp is going to be looking good!

Thought for the day: Silence is not only golden, but it is seldom misquoted.

No comments:

Post a Comment