Monday, November 16, 2015

November 16, 2015 Mud, Deer & Mysterious Eyes


My swing, after the wind storm.




Friday 11/13. The large buck was back on the south ridge this morning.  I got to see him, but was unable to get a picture.  He has a huge rack.

Last night we had a big gust of wind that swept around the north side of the porch and knocked everything off that end, including the water barrel (empty), rubber mat, and an old milk can.  It continued up to the cistern and took the heavy, metal top off the riser and tossed it about twenty feet.  Nasty!

Still windy this morning, but I was on my way Down There by 8:30 am, and managed to slide sideways on a few areas of the very muddy and slick road.  Half-way down a hawk flew right in front of me carrying a small rabbit.  Not a sight I really like to see.

I knew that Gridder would never make it up to our place with his truck and trailer to get Miss Kitty tomorrow, so I stopped and talked to him.  He is quite the mechanic and said he would go up and take a look at Miss Kitty this afternoon to see if he could get her started.  So nice to have such great neighbors.

Passed my check-up with flying colors.  Our hospital now offers 3-D mammograms and our insurance pays for them.  Woo hoo!!

Lots of shopping to do and didn't get to it until almost noon, so I didn't arrive back home til after 4:00 pm.  It was easier going up the road than down, but still very slick.  I don't remember our road being this bad since about five years ago when Sandy visited and it rained for three days straight.  I think I got up our driveway only because my guardian angel was pushing. . .

Took a while to unload the car and get everything put away.  I always buy myself a new pair of Dearfoam slippers at Costco every November and today was the day.  Funny how such a small thing can be such a big bit of happy!

Gridder was able to get Miss Kitty started this afternoon, so the problem may not be as bad as we thought.  JB will drive her down tomorrow to Gridder's, where they will put her on the trailer and take her to the shop.

Just before bedtime, JB always goes out on the porch to check the temperature and shine his flashlight around.  Tonight he saw three sets of blue eyes staring back at him down by the outhouse.  Coyotes' eyes are red and cats' eyes are yellow, so not sure what they were.  Bear?  Deer?  Dogs?

What a sad day for Paris!

Saturday 11/14. It was 38 and overcast this morning.  JB left for Gridder's in Miss Kitty a little after 10:00 am.  He called at 11:30 to say they were on their way back from dropping her off to be fixed, so I drove his Jeep down to pick him up.  Much easier to navigate the road in his vehicle than mine!  Took some rose hip-orange marmalade down for them and had a nice but short visit.  Picked up the mail, which consisted of mainly catalogues, after all it is almost the holiday season.  

By the looks of things, I thought for sure Rose Camp would be up in the clouds, but it was actually above them, which was nice for a change.

I climbed up onto the hen house roof to fasten down the tarp a little better for winter, and then we took the dogs for their afternoon walk.

Our second night of watching a Die Hard movie.  Will watch the third one tomorrow.  Yippee Ki Yay!

Sunday 11/15. It was 38 again and raining this morning when I got up at 8:00.  Soon it couldn't make up its mind if it was going to rain or snow.  By 10:00 am, it had definitely decided to snow and was it sticking.  By 11:00, it stopped falling altogether and the white was gone by mid afternoon.

JB drove down to Larry's at noon to help him split and stack wood.  They are a little late getting their wood in this year.  I worked on my computer, did some filing, and other inside work.

Talked to both Randy and Nene today.  Always enjoyable.

When JB got back home around 4:00 pm, he said that Larry thought those eyes JB saw Friday night were probably deer.  I hope so because the bears should have been going into their dens a week or so ago according to the Farmer's Almanac.

Our high for the day was 40, but it was already back down to 30 when JB got back Up Here.

I have to go Down There again tomorrow for another doctor's appointment and to the dentist to get a crown on my broken tooth.  Will definitely take JB's Jeep.  I hope this is the last time we have to go down our road until we try to make it to Seattle for Thanksgiving!

Monday 11:16. It is a chilly 26 this morning and the sky looks to be mostly clear.  Hard to tell when the sun isn't up yet, but I can see the brilliant white Cascades to the west.  Hope to be on my way by 8:00 am so I can take my time, but it should be a little easier now since it was so cold last night.  The mud has probably hardened a bit.

Thought for the day: My dentist says I need a crown - Finally someone agrees with me.  (Seen on a T-shirt in a catalogue.)

1 comment:

  1. Wild dogs' eyes reflect blue, some times fox as well.

    ReplyDelete