Monday, November 30, 2015

November 30, 2015 Great Neighbors & Another Thanksgiving Dinner


Fog trying to creep over the south ridge
on Sunday afternoon.

High valley fog to the northwest also
on Sunday.












Friday 11/27. Gridder drove up and brought a friend with him this afternoon.  Turns out his friend actually drove one of the cement mixers that came up to pour the cement for the poles when our home was being built seven years ago.  We had a nice visit and then Gridder wanted to show MAX to his friend.  Since he seems to be quite taken with MAX, JB asked Gridder if he wanted to drive the vehicle.  He had a great time going up and around the south ridge.  Like a kid driving a car for his first time!

Later the Sixes drove up in both their UTV's.  (So nicknamed the Sixes as they have four boys, so there are six in the family.)  Seems Gridder went over to visit them, knowing they were up at their cabin.  He mentioned that Miss Kitty was in the shop and he didn't think he could get his trailer out to go pick her up when she is ready because of the snowy road.  Mr Sixes, who brings their large UTV over on the trailer every time they come up and parks it down by the paved road, said it would be no problem for him to get Miss Kitty.  So he left their side-by-side UTV with us, saying we could use it until Miss Kitty was fixed.  Then he would drive her up and get his UTV.  Wow!  I was a bit overwhelmed by their generosity.

Well, it is the day after Thanksgiving and I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do for a Christmas card this year.  Usually I have it all figured out by August.  This year - not a clue.

Our high for the day was 33.  The sky remained clear and there is an air stagnation alert for our area.

Unfortunately my muse seems to keep opposite hours than I do.  My 2:00 am fire checks are turning into two hour writing frenzies.  I need some sleep!  My living room chair was never intended to be used as a bed. . .

Saturday 11/28.  It was 24 and clear again this morning with valley fog.  Thanksgiving morning the temperature down at Larry and Elsie's was 13!  We are often warmer Up Here than Down There in the winter.

Again I was up writing when doing the fire check.  Had to go back to bed for an hour after getting up at 8:00 am to feed the chickens and dogs.  We left for our second Thanksgiving dinner at 11:30 am, all the while hoping I wouldn't fall asleep in my plate.  Well, I didn't have to worry about that as we were just having too much fun and eating too much good food.  I have decided that I could eat Thanksgiving dinner several times a week and not get tired of it.

We were back home a little after 5:00 pm.  I snoozed in my chair for a while and then we watched Jurassic World which Gridder loaned us.  It was very well done and entertaining, but I think the original movie, Jurassic Park, was the best of the series.

Sunday 11/29. it was 20 this morning with clear skies and valley fog.  A lot better than the six degrees it has been at Randy's for a couple of nights.  The valley fog settled in and stayed all day.  I don't think Larry and Elsie ever saw the sun.  

It was a nice, lazy day.  Read the mail we picked up yesterday.  JB installed Word and Excel back on my computer.  I worked on Christmas presents.

Our high for the day was only 28.  The fog was trying to creep up and across our south ridge when we went on our afternoon walk, but the sun forced it back down.

We began watching the second season of Elementary this evening.  Such a great show!  When JB went out to check the temperature at 9:30 pm before we went to bed, it had dropped to ten degrees.  Thank goodness for those fleece sheets!

Regarding the comment about chickens liking variety in their diet, I can see that your chickens are spoiled also!  Ours are just lucky that they haven't been invited to the stew pot, since they are no longer earning their keep by laying eggs.  But, yes, I will have to see what I can do about variety although it's not easy to keep fresh greens Up Here in the winter.

Monday 11/30. We are fogged in this morning with a temp of 8, and our world has a thick frosting of rime.

Thought for the day: The real measure of our wealth is how much we would be worth if we lost all our money.  J.H. Jowett

No comments:

Post a Comment