Wednesday, May 4, 2016

May 3, 2016 Work, Work, Work

The completed "small" swale.
We have more arnica blooming
this year than any other since
we moved Up Here.












Monday 5/2. I always wondered (but never researched) how the Three Wise Men chose their gifts for the Christ Child.  The gold I can understand.  But frankincense and myrrh?  Well, turns out they are medicinal oils that were very highly valued at that time.  They have continued to be used in other countries and now are being recognized in the US for their use in healing, which is why Elsie made the lotion and gave me some for my arthritis.

We are seeing deer almost every day now as they make their way to higher ground for the spring and summer.  I love it!

After morning chores, JB took his Wrangler Down There to get a new water pump installed.  Larry had recommended a shop to us and when we called for a quote, they were half the price of the shop we usually go to!  While he was waiting for it to be done, he walked several blocks to a used book store that we have wanted to check out.

While he was gone, I worked on the third swale.  I tore down two rotten stumps that were nearby and shoveled all the rotten wood onto it.  Also worked on the pile of kindling, breaking it to length and stacking it.  Then cut and pulled some greens for the compost pile.

On our afternoon walk I noticed that Belinda was in the small pen for the new girls, frantically trying to get out.  She must have flown over the fence and then forgotten how she got there.  When I gave them their scratch, I also went in and opened the door in the fence to let her out.

Our high for the day was 68, which was much more comfortable than the 87 Down There.

Tuesday 5/3. It was 58 and clear this morning, but the sky was almost overcast by noon.  Our high for the day was a very muggy 69.

Right after breakfast we were out to work on finishing the small swale.  JB used the tractor to bring over loads and loads of dirt, while I raked it smooth and tamped it down.  So glad that is done.  Now we can start on the third swale, which will be the smallest one.

JB got the trailer ready to take Down There tomorrow for our spring garbage run.  We will also pick up large items like a bale of straw, chicken feed and pine shavings for the girls, and a bag of dog food.

I worked on the pile of kindling some more and gathered more tiny, fire-starter size wood from the west slope.  Being a hot day, I was just wearing a tank top with my jeans.  As I wrote a few years ago, I have given up wearing a bra unless I go to town or I know we are having company.  So while I am bending over and picking up wood, one of my boobs fell out.  Now I am certain that had this happened while living Down There, I would have been hearing hysterical laughter from the neighbors.  I do love our privacy Up Here.

All the moisture-laden clouds were moving to the north of us this afternoon.  I wanted to yell at them, "Hey!  Over here!  We need you here!"  Our ground is still very moist, but we need rain.  We actually did get a light shower in the evening, but it didn't last very long.  In talking with Larry, he said they heard thunder for about 15 minutes but didn't see any lightening.  We were watching the last few episodes of season five of Castle, so we did not hear any of it.

Wednesday 5/4. It is 50 and mostly cloudy this morning with thunder showers in the forecast for today.  We will be leaving around 9:00 am on our garbage run.

Thought for the day: An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.  When life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it's going to launch you into something great.  So just focus, and keep aiming.  Guideposts May issue

1 comment: