Wednesday, October 12, 2016

October 12, 2016 Time Well Spent

Yellow jacket nest dug up
by a critter (bear?).

Cutting down the leaning
tree by our road.


Friday a.m. snow on the mtns.  Was
twice as much & twice as low on
Monday morning.












Friday - Monday 10/7-10/10: I spent the weekend preparing for my son's arrival, gathering wood & cleaning house.  Each day was cooler than the last, and Sunday night we received 1/2" of rain.  Monday morning the mountains were blanketed with snow, including Mission Ridge.

Saturday morning on our walk, the dogs and I discovered that the yellow jacket nest had been dug up by a critter, probably a bear.  It had been quite a large nest that went deep into the ground.  

Late Saturday afternoon, Larry and Gridder drove up to work on MAX.  Looks like they got him all fixed.  We'll just have to jump the battery or buy a new one.

My son arrived just before noon on Sunday, having stopped to pick up lunch for us at Taco Time.  It is one of his favorite eateries and there aren't any in Alabama.  It was so incredibly great to see him and we just couldn't stop talking (even though I talk to him at least twice a week, it just isn't the same as in person).

Drove him down the short cut to see my brother and his cabin.  Then it was back to Rose Camp and a short hike.  He brought the Star Wars movie, "The Force Awakens", which I finally got to see!

He always wants to do something to help us when he visits, so Monday we spent cutting down trees.  He cut one down on our road that was leaning over, and two little standing-dead ones nearby.  Then he cut the dead one on the west slope behind our house.  Hurray!!  We had such a great time working together, but his arms were like jello by the time we were done.

Lots more talking and looking at photos Monday evening.  He worked on my computer each day (making it run so much better!), and downloaded all the pictures from his phone.  Then we watched Red 2 (that he hadn't seen yet) and and Age of Ultron on his computer (that I hadn't seen). 

Tuesday 10/11. It was 33 this morning with clear skies.  Our coldest morning yet this season.  I cooked a big breakfast for my son, and he was on his way by 9:00 am.  It was extremely difficult to say goodbye, and after he left, the whole situation hit me like a ton of bricks - his leaving, JB's being gone, JB's Mom being so ill.  After a good cry, I put on my big-girl panties and got on with it.  Did laundry and dishes.  Sawed off some of the larger branches on the downed tree behind our house and took them up to the cradle.  Took the dogs for a long walk.  Took a long nap.  Life is good.

Wednesday 10/12. It is 31 this morning and the sky is clear.  Will be able to see my son's plane flying over. . .

Thought for the day: Coffee: a warm, delicious alternative to hating everybody every morning forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment