Friday, October 14, 2016

October 14, 2016 Hospice & A Muddy Ride

My mums (from last year)
that actually bloomed
while I was at Nene's.



Wednesday 10/12. I gave the girls oatmeal for breakfast for the first time this season.  The new girls gave it a "What the heck is that?!" look before trying it and gobbling it up.

For any of you who are reading this and have elderly family or friends, please pay attention!  In the medicare booklet, hospice sounds great.  However, what they don't mention is that the patient's bank account has to be practically empty before they can go into hospice or have home-care paid for. . .  Think about that.  This mainly thanks to our current person in the White House, or, as I refer to him, the imposter.

With the two nasty storms moving in, I figured that today may be the last nice and dry day for a while, so I got busy.  Took my Jeep down to where our son had cut the tree by the road.  Loaded the four four-foot trunk pieces into the back, along with some larger branches, and brought it all up to the wood cradle.  Broke and stacked the rest of the branches I had brought up from the tree he cut on the slope behind the house and stacked the pieces in the appropriate places.  Re-installed the slats in the front of the generator shed to protect it from the winter weather.  Pulled up all the tomato and other plants in the garden.  Tore them up and put them in the compost pile.  Whew!

Our high for the day was 47 and the sun shone in a clear sky.  Now Rose Camp is ready for winter, but I certainly am not. . .

This evening I finished another book, A Sudden Light by Garth Stein.  So intriguing that I just couldn't put it down.  It takes place in the Seattle area, which made it even better.

Thursday 10/13. It was 35 this morning with a light rain.  Rain fell most of the night and we were in the clouds.  I thought I would go Down There tomorrow, but after talking with JB at 9:00 am and then listening to the weather report, I decided I better go today.  So I threw on my clothes and a hat, and was on my way a little before 10:00 am, sliding sideways down the driveway.  But that is a given whenever it is this wet.  I was mainly concerned about getting the large bags of dog food and chicken feed.  Bought all that and more as I zipped down the aisles of Costco, Coastal and Fred Meyer.

Driving back up our road wasn't too bad, until I got to the beginning of our driveway, which is the steepest part.  I had my Jeep in four-low and hit the gas.  With the rear end weaving back and forth, I made up the the house even a bit easier than I thought it might be.  

Carrying everything in and putting it all away without JB's help takes a bit longer, but I finally got it done.  Am so glad I went down today, as with all the rain, and the wind due in tomorrow, I wasn't sure how the road might be.

JB, his brother and sister-in-law have worked out a schedule where they only have to have one care-taker in, instead of three.  JB watches his Mom during the day; a care-taker comes in for the evening; and his brother sleeps in the room with her at night.  His sister-in-law gets her dressed in the morning, and the care-taker puts on her pajamas in the evening.  This cuts the cost down from $750 per day to $250.

I sure miss my son.  He has such an incredible sense of humor that he keeps me in stitches.

Friday 10/14. It is 40 this morning with partly cloudy skies.  Rain continued to fall until around midnight.  The wind began to gust around 4:00 am, but now it is all very still.  I can see more snow on the mountains, but it is mainly along the top.

Thought for the day: Perhaps that is what life is about - the search for such a connection.  The search for magic.  The search for the inexplicable.  Not in order to explain it, or contain it.  Simply in order to feel it.  Because in that recognition of the sublime, we see for a moment the entire universe in the palm of our hand.  And in that moment, we touch the face of God.  Garth Stein, A Sudden Light


No comments:

Post a Comment