Wednesday, March 1, 2017

March 1, 2017 Memories & Not One Hint of Spring


Winter laundry.




Monday 2/27. It was 20 and mostly cloudy this morning with 2-3/4" new snow.  Flakes drifted lazily down all afternoon, but it was barely a skiff (as Elsie would say).

My friend, Hazel, who just turned 101 called to thank me for the card and blog printout that I had sent.  She said that the mention of my canning chicken brought back many good memories.  She grew up in rural Michigan and canned all their meat.  No ice deliveries where they lived, so they didn't even have an ice box.  They stored their butter and such items in the spring house where it was cool.  I know that on the ranch where my Father and Aunt Nene grew up, they used the spring house as a cooler also.  My Grandmother did a lot of canning, but I don't know if she canned meat.

Tuesday 2/28. It was a chilly 18 with clear skies this morning.  The forecast calls for a temp of 50 tomorrow, which is perfect for the first day of March.  Spring is just three weeks away, but to look outside, it might as well be three months.

The girls gave us FOUR eggs today!  None yesterday and three on Sunday.  

With all the power coming in this morning, I had no excuse not to vacuum.  Yes, Mother Nature pretty much rules our lives Up Here.

Wednesday 3/1. It is 30 and clear with a wind gusting to 28 mph.  If this is our annual chinook, it is almost exactly two months late.

Thought for the day: You wake up every morning to fight the same demons that left you so tired the night before, and that, my love, is bravery.  Quinton Brower, Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment