Wednesday, March 15, 2017

March 15, 2017 A Rug, Yellow Jackets & A Possible Spring

The rug I am
crocheting.


Monday 3/13. A busy day.  Got rid of the bedroom refrigerator, as it is now too warm.  Put all the food in the outside fridge where the temp is 25.  Also cleaned out the wood stove, which was way overdue.

It was a Seattle weather day - grey and rainy - with a high again of 50.

These warmer temps have activated a yellow jacket nest somewhere in our loft.  There were at least a dozen flying around that we were finally able to swat.

I have wanted a knitting or crocheting project for some time now to work on while watching movies.  One of our magazines had directions for crocheting, instead of braiding, a rug.  When I walked down to our Jeep to go to town, I was able to buy a large enough crochet hook (10mm), so now I am making a rug out of any scrap cotton material I can find.  I have completely pulled it out twice, but I am getting the hang of it.  And it is good exercise for my arthritic fingers.

Tuesday 3/14. It was 34 and foggy this morning.  The sun worked very hard for several hours to chase the fog away, and finally managed to do so around mid afternoon.  We were both outside for quite a while during the day with shoveling and walks.  Walking on our paths is like walking a tightrope.  They are about two feet above the ground and if you step just a little to either side, down you go to your knees.  The snow now has a consistency of a snow cone, which I learned while refilling the coffee cans for the refrigerator.  Our high for the day was 48.

I find that the longer I live Up Here, the less I need or want.  I still enjoy looking through the catalogs at the current fashions in clothes and shoes, but jeans and boots are my choices now.  And I purchase most of my clothes at the thrift store and my boots at the feed store.  All I really need are good books, craft supplies and tasty food, which includes chocolate, of course.  Good friends and a loving family.  The right tools and reliable vehicles.  Well, the list is a little longer than I thought, but I don't think I'm asking for too much.  Just the basics for a comfortable survival.  Don't know if these changing wants are because I'm getting older, or if in fact it is from living Up Here.

Maybe it's because with this lifestyle, we do so many things for ourselves.  Like canning meat.  Speaking of which, I gave the dogs their first canned chicken for dinner tonight and they didn't fall over dead, so I assume all is well.

I am sure I smacked a good two dozen yellow jackets today.  This is the worst it's been for a couple years.

While talking on the radio to Larry this evening, one of his cats brought in a mouse.  He quickly excused himself to take care of the situation, and was able to dispose of the mouse that was still quite alive.  They are in full bloom mud mode at their place.  I can hardly wait. . .

Wednesday 3/15. It is 40 and overcast this morning with a misty rain, and more wet in the forecast.

Thought for the day: Do not look back in anger, or forward in fear, but around in awareness.  James Thurber 

No comments:

Post a Comment