Monday, March 27, 2017

March 27, 2017 Locked in The Hen House!


My second basket.

Turkeys at Elsie's
Sunday morning.

The curious girls in the
hen house with me.














Friday 3/24. We had received another 2-1/2" of snow overnight.  I really don't mind the snow, it's not being able to get out our road on our own that I mind.  I do need a few items that I may have to ask for help in getting.  If this was a "normal" year, we would be fine.  Next winter we will be better prepared.

Snow fell until about 3:00 pm and we had fog for most of the day also.  But sun and blue sky were visible on our afternoon walk.  Our high for the day was 40.

I worked on setting up my new blog and just about fried my brain.  I tried a couple other sites that promised to be as easy as 1-2-3, but obviously I can't count that high, so I came back to blogspot.  The address will be livingremoteotg.blogspot.com.

I also started a new basket yesterday.  Am enjoying myself immensely making them.  This one will be smaller than the first one.

Saturday 3/25. It was 30 with clear sky and a wind gusting to 13 mph this morning.  There was a thick, white wall of snow to the west and snow kept blowing in from it off and on during the day, but the wall never got this far east.  Our high for the day was 44, but the wind was icy.

I finished my second basket today.  It is smaller and much more fancy than the first.  And then I started my third basket, using cord instead of fabric.  I also worked more on my new blog.  Doing the page layout is still giving me fits, but I think I have most of it done.  My first post will be on Monday, but the layout will most likely progress even after that.

JB's ankle is still causing him pain and discomfort.  It seems like he has a leg joint problem every year.  Too many years of playing football.

Sunday 3/26. This morning was 31 with overcast skies, and snow flakes began drifting down around 9:00 am.

When Jesse came back from his after-breakfast jaunt, he had small entrails stuck in his teeth.  Probably from a mouse.

Elsie called this morning to be sure that I knew it was snowing (ha ha).  While we were talking, their resident tom turkey came walking in from the forest.  They have named him Bill as he usually has quite a harem.  Shortly after he arrived, two other toms, two jakes (young toms) and five females arrived!  She took photos and emailed them to me (see above).

The snow fell all day in fits and starts, and we experienced several hours of thick fog that rolled in around 2:00 pm.  But because it was so warm, it didn't stick anywhere but on the snow that was already on the ground.  We went on our morning walk in the snow, but not in that fog in the afternoon.  Our high for the day was 44, but it sure didn't seem that warm.  We kept a fire going all day.

Since we didn't go on our afternoon walk, I went out to check for eggs around 3:00 pm.  The latch on the door to the hen house is a bit tricky and you have to pull it back all the way and lock it, otherwise the end of the bolt can get stuck in the loop when the door closes and lock you inside.  And that is just what happened to me.  Fortunately, I usually have my phone with me, so I called JB to come let me out.  Worst case scenario, I could always try to wiggle out the girls' door to their run and get out the gate.  The girls all came into the hen house, curious as to why I was staying there so long.

By 7:00 pm the temperature had dropped sufficiently for the snow to start sticking everywhere.

Monday 3/27. It is 31 and breezy this morning with overcast skies.  We received about 1/4" of snow during the night.

Thought for the day: The road to success is always under construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment