Friday, March 3, 2017

March 3, 2017 Lots of Eggs, Snow and Drifting!

The path to the north
ridge had completely
disappeared!

Jesse on the ice-rimmed road down
from the south ridge.












Wednesday 3/1. Most of the paths were drifted over this morning.  Snow got into my high mucking boots when I went to feed the girls their breakfast.  Still in my pajamas and dressing gown, I just slip on my coat, hat and boots, and am on my way with their hot oatmeal and bananas and fresh water.  Our whole landscape was sculpted this morning, and dotted with fir cones, needles, twigs and small branches.

I can take fog and wind in small doses.  Fortunately, after howling all night, the wind had calmed by mid morning to a 7 mph breeze.

JB started the vehicles and let them run for a while.  I filled five more coffee cans full of snow/ice and put them in the fridge.  Then I dug out the tractor.

The sun was quite warm and our high for the day was 42.

The dogs have had a lot of exercise in the past week or two chasing coyotes (?).  We haven't actually seen any since JB spotted them on the south ridge, but the dogs are definitely getting their scent.  Ever the hunter, Jesse caught and ate an appetizer (mouse?) on our afternoon walk today.

It looks like we may pass last winter's "record" snowfall of 9.88 feet.  So far this winter we have received 9.7 feet and there is more on the way.

Thursday 3/2. This morning was 30 and overcast, but the sun soon broke through the cloud cover and our high for the day was again 42.  The breeze picked up and by the time of our afternoon walk, it was gusting to 16 mph.  When the temp climbs into the high 30's, we don't need a fire during the day.  Just a good one first thing in the morning, then start again in the late afternoon.

I spent several hours reorganizing the long term storage food that has been opened.  Once opened, it will usually last for a year, but I vacuum pack it into half-gallon mason jars to be sure it will stay fresh.  

The girls gave us four eggs again today!  They must be happy with the sun and longer days.  No more happy than we are, I'm sure.

My Aunt Nene responded to my last posting and let me know that my Grandmother actually had an ice box.  She canned lots of fruit and vegetables, and made lots of jam, but did not can meat.  My Grandfather kept them in fresh wild game.

Friday 3/3. It is 34 this morning and mostly cloudy.  The mountains are really getting dumped on, but we are being spared, so far.

Thought for the day: It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.  Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment