Wednesday, November 1, 2017

November 1, 2017 Last Drainage Ditch, MAX & A Meltdown

Drainage ditch at the
hair-pin corner, before. . .
. . .and after digging.















Monday 10/30. After chores, including laundry (which I hung inside), I walked down to the hair-pin corner carrying the shovel and metal rake, intent on digging out the last of the drainage ditch.  The dogs dogs were so excited about an outing, and I was just glad to be done with it.  It took a little more time and energy than I thought it would, but I did get it done.

Back up at the house, I ate lunch and decided that I really needed to get started on changing MAX's tires so we could get the tracks on.  Didn't look forward to this project either, as I knew I had to do it all by myself.  The only really difficult part of it is jacking up MAX so I can slide large pieces of wood underneath him.  JB always uses the hi-lift jack.  I never have.

I drove MAX into place and gathered all the items we would need, including the small generator in the garden wagon.  JB was trying to advise me on how to hold and use the jack, but somehow the handle slipped and smacked in on the cheek.  It really didn't hurt that much, but I ran, crying "I can't do this all by myself!", into the house for an ice pack.  Didn't realize I was that tightly wound.  

I had never used one of the instant ice packs before, but it worked perfectly.  I sat holding it against my cheek and tried to relax.  Deep breaths.  Calming thoughts.  And the right way to do all this came to me.

Back outside, I correctly jacked up one end of MAX and slid a piece of wood length-wise under each side with my leg.  Then did the same with the other end.  Took the three wheels off one side and put the extenders on.  And that was it for the day.  Tuesday was supposed to be dry, although cooler, so I planned to finish then.

Our high today was 48 with lots of sunshine.

Tuesday 10/31. Halloween began with a temperature of 34 and clear skies.  What I really like about cold mornings is that I need to wait a while for the day to warm up a bit.  So I have time to relax with my coffee and sudoku.

My cheek was barely sore this morning, with just a slight bit of bruising.  And I felt like the crying was an outlet I needed.

I did my chores and after lunch we went out to finish up on MAX.  I took the tires off the other side and put the extenders on.  Then JB showed me where the impact wrench was and how to use it.  I started up the little generator and tightened the extenders.

I put the three smaller tires on one side and got two on the other side before discovering that three of the lugs on the last extender were partially stripped.  That meant that I had to pound them out and insert new ones.  Getting them out was not an issue, but putting the new ones in takes a lot more arm strength than I have.  However, my leg worked just fine.  Got the first one in but could not get the nut off that was used to screw in the lug.

I finally ended up taking the extender back off and putting it in the vise in the shop.  That worked for getting the nut off and starting to insert the second lug.  When I got to the place that I could no longer tighten it with my arms, I brought over a stool and stood on it.  I used my leg to tighten the nut, then decided that was it for the day.  Tomorrow is supposed to be dry in the morning, with precipitation moving in later in the day.  Hopefully I can get the last lug on and the last tire on MAX by noon.

This whole two-day process has been very frustrating for JB since he has only been able to help out verbally.

It was actually warmer today, reaching 58.  On these sunny, Fall days there is about a two-hour window in the early afternoon when we get the high temps and I had parked MAX right where the sun would be during that time.

Wednesday 11/1. JB's 75th birthday has begun with a temperature of 40 and huge, puffy clouds coming in from the west.  Hopefully we can get MAX all ready for the tracks today.  Will need help putting those on.

Thought for the day: If you're feeling low, don't despair.  The sun has a sinking spell every night, but it comes back up every morning.  Dolly Parton

No comments:

Post a Comment