Wednesday, June 20, 2018

June 20, 2018 Slicing Wood & A Trip Down There

Again, I am unable to upload any photos.



Monday 6/18. It seems like all of the robins have moved on, not just the ones whose nest we could see.  But there are plenty of smaller birds about.  The red-capped sparrows are building their nests and love to collect the dogs' hair that is in little clumps from my brushing them.  Wish I could get a photo of one of them with their big, droopy, dogs'-hair mustache.

After I hung out the laundry, we sliced up the two logs I had limbed yesterday.  Then I limbed the other two and we sliced them up.  I measure and JB cuts.  After lunch we moved four tractor-bucket loads of rounds to the splitter, two loads of wood I split yesterday to the wood shed, and one load of rounds, too small to split, to the wood shed where I stacked them all.  These were small trees with only 96' between the four of them.  Still, it's lots of wood, and we will be thinning out the woods of many of the small ones.

Then we were both ready for a nap!

The sky had cleared a bit during the day but clouds moved back over late in the afternoon.  Our high for the day was 76, and by sunset the sky was almost clear again.

Tuesday 6/19. It was 52 and clear this morning.  I was on my way Down There by 9:00 am, mainly to pick up the package of parts for the oven.  It wasn't there at 10:30 am, nor was it there a couple hours later when I went back after all my shopping was done.  Guess I should have checked the tracking online.

As many times as I have done it, travelling our road is always an adventure.  The foliage changes a bit from one trip to another, and one never knows what critter one might meet, if only a grouse or two, or if there will be a large rock or tree on the road.  And upon returning to Rose Camp, I always seem to see our home in a new light, both actually and figuratively.

The day rapidly heated up Down There and I managed to get back home by 1:30 pm.  Again, our high for the day was 76, but it seemed much warmer today.

Tomorrow will be the summer solstice and the sun is now as far north as it will get for the year.  From our viewpoint, it sets right into the crevice formed by Tumwater Canyon, which opens into Leavenworth.  This is the first place where I have lived that the annual movement of the sun is so obvious.  Living Down There, I rarely noticed.  Just another wonder of living Up Here on the mountain.

The Gridders' garage sale in Moses Lake is going to be this weekend.  Mrs. Gridder, her sons, and I are going to leave Thursday evening.  I will not be back home until Sunday evening, so there will be no blog posting on Friday.  JB and I plan to put the mower on the tractor tomorrow so he can be mowing while I am gone.

Wednesday 6/20. It is 64 and partly cloudy this morning with thunder storms in the forecast for today and tomorrow.

Thought for the day: The United States was supposed to have a limited government because the founders knew government power attracts demagogues and despots as surely as horse manure attracts horseflies.  Rick Gaber

No comments:

Post a Comment