Monday, June 25, 2018

June 25, 2018 Home Again, Home Again, Jiggety Jig

Fireweed beginning
to bloom at the
 end of the porch.



Wednesday 6/20. At Costco yesterday, I discovered that they are now selling cold brew coffee.  How delicious!

Thunder clouds were peeking over the mountains to the southwest when I went out to hang up the laundry.  I hung it up anyway, knowing it would all be dry before the storm arrived.

I left before 11:30 am for a quick trip Down there to pick up the package of parts for the oven (and a milk shake), and was home in just under two hours.  The dark clouds were getting darker and closer, so I wanted to be home before they let loose.

JB cleaned the mower attachment to the tractor, something that should be done when we take it off in the Fall, but never seems to get done until we want to put it back on again the next year. . .

I needn't have hurried home.  There was just a little distant thunder and a couple of rain drops.  The clouds all drifted off to the south and our high for the day was 78.

The temperature was really too warm to work hard outside, so after dinner I split some wood since it had cooled a bit.  JB worked on the oven and then I helped finish, as it is really a two-person job.  Before we put it all back together, I vacuumed and cleaned the inside of the stove.  By then it was after 7:00, so we just sat on the porch for a while and enjoyed the evening.  The dark clouds were no longer in sight.

Thursday 6/21. The day of the summer solstice began with 60 and partly cloudy skies.  We got outside early and moved the wood I split yesterday to the shed in two loads.  As I was moving some of the rounds closer to the splitter, I discovered a timber rattler curled up under one.  Got my snake stick and quickly dispatched him.  He was only about 14" with five small rattles.

Then we put the mower on the tractor.  What a pain in the patootie. . . and the knees, and the hands, etc.  Didn't get the last part attached as it needed to be oiled and extended.  JB said that would be a project for him while I was gone.

I went inside to finish packing and take a nap.  After that I stacked the wood we had taken to the wood shed, then took a shower.  After dinner I was on my way to the Gridders' place about 6:00 pm.  This had been our hottest day this year, with a high of 83.

Friday through Sunday 6/22-6/24. We were up at 6:00 am Friday to set up for the garage sale what was to begin at 8:00.  I had taken my craft-fair booth, which provided us with lots of shade.  Both days were quite warm, but with a strong breeze, so we were all quite comfortable.  Sold a lot, talked a lot and played cards in the evenings.  A great time!  But we have all agreed that next time there is enough stuff for another sale, we will just take two loads to Goodwill, one load to the dump, play cards and just skip the garage sale part of it all.  However, I made enough money for Mrs. Gridder and me to get to lots of other people's garage sales this summer!

We enjoyed a lazy Sunday morning and were on our way home about 10:30 am.  I was back up at Rose Camp before 1:00 pm.  Such fun - but it is always good to be back home.

JB had gotten the mower all attached to the tractor while I was gone, then mowed the south ridge and some to the north.  I helped him spot stumps and rocks on the north ridge Sunday afternoon, so he could finish up.

While I was gone, daily temps had been the the high 70's and today was 78.

Monday 6/25. It is 58 and mostly cloudy with blue sky to the west this morning.  We had a storm pass over during the night with lots of lightening, a little thunder, and some rain.  The thunder really freaks out the dogs, so JB spent a couple hours on the couch in the living room with them.  Needless to say, he is sleeping in this morning.

Thought for the day: Accentuate the positive, not the negative.  It sounds so trite, but a lot of people will pick out something to complain about, rather than say, "Hey, that was great!"  It's not hard to find great stuff if you look.  Betty White

No comments:

Post a Comment