Monday, October 29, 2018

October 29, 2018 Down There, More Splitting, & More Rain

Our porch is all ready for winter.
Friday's valley fog.
Chips & blows from
splitting.















Friday 10/26. By 9:30 am we had sun and blue sky, while the canyons and valleys remained fogged in.  Our fog was blown away by a wind gusting to 11 mph.

I split wood and JB moved it to the porch in four loads.  I stacked it on the east side (front) and made more than half a row.

The wind blew all day, increasing to 17 mph by evening.  The road should be dried out nicely for my trip Down There tomorrow.  Our high for the day was 58.

Saturday 10/27.  It is 38 and partly cloudy this morning.  I was on my way by 9:00 am, all bundled up, and home before noon.  I stopped in to visit Mrs. Gridder on my way down.  Stopped in to visit Larry and Elsie on may way back home.  Thursday night's storm tore most of the leaves off the trees, so in many places driving down the canyon, it looked like I was on the yellow brick road.

After lunch, I split some more wood and JB took it to the porch in two loads.  Stacking it almost completed the east row.  If I don't split any more wood, I'm sure we have more than enough for winter.  However, I do plan on doing some more splitting, as the weather allows.

The forecast rain arrived as we were eating dinner, about 5:00 pm, and it was still coming 4-1/2 hours later when we went to bed.  Our high for the day was 52.

Sunday 10/28.  It is 39 and mostly cloudy this morning with valley fog.  During the night we received .93" of rain, which is a lot for Up Here.  The wind soon blew the clouds away, allowing us to see the new snow on Mission Ridge and the Cascades.

So, just after writing that Fall is my favorite season, I began thinking that I much prefer the weather changing from cold to warm, rather than warm to cold.  The colors do make Fall worth the nippy temperatures, but they just don't last nearly as long as the Spring colors do.  I guess it's a toss-up between the two.

My little brother turns sixty today.  Somehow that doesn't make me feel old, although I'm pretty sure it makes him feel old.  I just feel like I'm leading the way. . .

Just as I went out to split wood around 1:00 pm, the fog sneaked in.  Halfway through splitting the first round, a light sprinkle began to fall.  I finished two rounds and pulled the wood to the porch on the sled in two loads.  The east row is now finished and there is more wood on the second south-end row.  The porch is ready for winter, as shown in the left photo above.  There are two garbage cans in the photo, the small one contains pine needles and the larger one is full of very small pieces of branches, and chips and blows from splitting,  (see right photo above) both of which I bag and save for fire starter.

There are seven rows of wood in the shed, one row for each month October through April, but with the lovely Indian Summer we had, we have barely used even a third of October's row.  And we have about 52 rounds left that I have not split.  We may even have enough for next year.

The day's weather was constantly changing from clouds to sun, to fog, to clouds, and back to sun.  The wind blew all day and our high was just 46.

I got a really strong wi-fi signal last night and this morning, and have been able to download two more TV series: the first season each of The Ranch and Daredevil.  I watched the first episode of The Ranch this afternoon and LOVED it!  Sam Elliot and Debra Winger - two of my favorites.  Ashton Kutcher isn't so bad either.

Monday 10/29. It is 36 this morning with mostly clear skies.  The mountains received more snow during the night, and there is more rain in the forecast for this week.

Thought for the day: Morality has nothing in common with politics.  Bob Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment