Monday, October 1, 2018

October 1, 2018 Splitting More Wood, MAX & A Guest

Our second crop of
tomatoes.
The golden aspen grove
on the main canyon road.
















Friday 9/28. As I was splitting wood this morning, the propane truck arrived to fill our tank.  These two men always look forward to driving up to Rose Camp each year.  They are fascinated with our way of life.  They are also good for my ego.  Their comment of the day: There is a lot to be said for a woman who has her own wood splitting machine.

After splitting more wood, I sorted out the rest of the cut branch wood into kindling and regular fire wood.  After JB's chocolate bundt cake was out of the oven, he moved three loads of split wood and two loads of large branch wood.  I stacked it all, almost finishing the sixth row.

I love that we can each just do what we enjoy, me splitting wood while JB is baking a cake, and not identify what should be woman's or men's work.  I keep telling him that's why he married a younger woman, so I could to the heavy work when he got older. . .

Another ideal Fall day with a high of 67.

Saturday 9/29. It was 48 and mostly cloudy this morning.  We were up early to get ready for my brother coming up for breakfast.  JB fixed German pancakes and we had a great visit.

Then it was back to splitting wood, and after lunch we worked on MAX.  We came to the conclusion that the hole in the original axle we received was just not in the correct place.  So JB is going to drive Down There on Monday to have it re-drilled.  Hopefully that will work.

We moved four loads of wood to the shed where I finished the sixth load and got a good start on the seventh.  All this in another nice but cloudy Fall day with a high of 67.

After dinner we watched Out of Africa with Robert Redford and Meryl Streep.  Three hours of incredible drama and photography made 33 years ago.

Sunday 9/30. It is a chilly 40 and mostly cloudy this morning.  Another morning fire in the wood stove, and I am going to take the day off from hard labor.  I watched the first episode of Sherlock Holmes (the British series) on my Ipad and absolutely loved it!  Then after an afternoon shower, I drove Miss Kitty down to pick up the mail and send some cards.  Stopped in to visit with the Gridders.  Mrs Gridder invited me to go garage saling on Saturday and then we will be off to visit her parents in Moses Lake for the night and come back Sunday afternoon.  Can hardly wait!

I stopped in at Larry and Elsie's to feed and visit with their cat as they are gone for a couple days.  By then the clouds had begun to clear a bit, letting the sun through off and on.  Our high for the day was just 57 and the house was chilly enough to put in an evening fire.

Monday 10/1. This first day of October is beginning with a temperature of 40.  The sky was mostly clear, but the clouds are quickly moving in.  We may just get the rain that is forecast.

Thought for the day: The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love and to let it come in.  Mitch Albom

No comments:

Post a Comment