Monday, April 15, 2019

April 15, 2019 It's All In The Timing

On my way Friday morning.













Friday 4/12. I was on my way at 7:15 am, pulling the sled with the box filled with mail and my purse.  The hardest part was pulling the sled over the mud.   Then I had to move a tree off the road that had slid down from the upper side.  Just as I was coming to the main road, here was Larry driving up in his 4X4!  We were both a half an hour early.

We saw a large flock of wild turkeys as we drove down to his place.  A couple of the males had their tails fanned out.  Larry said they had the flock of thirteen in their yard yesterday.

The Jeep Wrangler fired right up and I was on my way.  The bank was my first stop to get money for the nieces', nephews' and grandkids' Easter cards.  I arrived there just three minutes after they opened.  Then it was on to buy the Easter cards, go to the vet for Dinga’s eye medication, then the post office to mail the packages and cards.  Stopped at the UPS store and the packages almost filled the car.  Okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but just a bit.  Then my latte!  Oh, my that was good.  Then I actually went to Costco to buy the double bag of GF bread, but I got to thinking that I could also get a box of six coconut milk cartons and a can of coffee that I could leave in the Jeep and go down a couple days later to get them.  Next stop was Fred Meyer and I ended up with a few extra items there, too.  Just as I was buying a few apples, I saw our new neighbor-to-be and we had a nice chat.  My last stop was for a Jumbo Jack and that was definitely the highlight of my day!

I stopped at Larry and Elsie’s on the way back up to pick up my pistol that I had left with Larry.  Also had a chance to pick up and pet one of their new chickens that are so friendly.

The drive all the way back up to our road was a breeze, with just one little slickery spot.  I sorted out all the mail and packages, bringing just “good” mail and small packages.  Then I was on my way back.  After several yards, I realized that the load was a bit heavier than when I hiked down, but I figured it would be okay.

As I was trudging back up, I kept thinking that I would think this would all be worth it this evening as I was eating the Italian sausage pizza we could make and eating a bowl of Cocoa Puffs for dessert.  JB met me at the end of our driveway and took the bag of mail.  That made all the difference.

I was surprised at the lack of sensory overload on the trip.  And I realized, after 2-1/2 months, that there are somethings that I just don’t need any more.  Also realized that going to town isn’t about getting off the mountain, it’s just about getting supplies.  It really has nothing else to offer.

I was right and it was all worth it with the pizza and cereal.  But that hamburger was still the highlight of my day.

Saturday 4/13. It is 38 and overcast this morning.  We had a two-minute snow squall at 8:00 am, but that was the precipitation for the day.  And, having taken some ibuprofen last night, the only thing that ached were my biceps.  But I am taking the day off.

We read the mail, magazines and newspapers.  Did our daily chores and read our books.  Finished watching part six of The Ranch, and I am so disappointed with the direction it is taking.

We had an icy wind all day, and our high was 44.

Sunday 4/14. It is 31, overcast and still windy this morning.  Will probably be just another slow day.

Had a phone call from a very good friend whom I have not seen or talked to in almost two years.  That meant so much.

We are now re-watching Justified.  Just as good as it always was.

Monday 4/15. It is 28 with clear skies and calm air this morning.  I will probably hike down to the Jeep and bring back the rest of the items today.

Thought for the day: That my complicated life could be made so simple was astounding. Cheryl Strayed

No comments:

Post a Comment