Wednesday, April 17, 2019

April 17, 2019 Another, But Easier, Four-Mile Hike

A melting critter tunnel
across the road.
I found the rubber ducky!
Much easier to do now that
the snow is melting.















Monday 4/15. The sky was mostly blue when I left to hike down to the Jeep at about noon.  So much easier with an empty sled.  I noticed a lot more of the road showing, just since Friday, but there are still several long, deep stretches of snow.  I arrived at the Jeep and loaded up the box on the sled.  A couple very light packages, a #10 can of coffee, a small bag of Ghirardelli chocolates and a large bottle of bourbon for JB.  Also brought some catalogs that were in the mail.  The snow was mostly hard today, was we had a very cold night, so the trek was easier than last time.  It took me just under two hours, and by the time I returned home, the sky was covered in clouds.

Forgot to mention that I found the rubber ducky that had disappeared from our "dinosaur stump" along the road.  The stray cows knocked it off along with everything else last year and, by the looks of it, I guess one of them pooped on it.  The cow pie must have dissolved during the winter.

JB took the fuse out of my Jeep that controls the electronic locks, then charged the battery.  The vehicle started right up and he ran it for a while.  Great idea!

Our high for the day was 46, with a very dreary late afternoon.

Tuesday 4/16. It is 38 with a clear sky this morning.  A glorious start to the day!

I did some sudoku after feeding the critters, then grabbed my coffee and sat on the porch with Dinga at my feet in the delightfully warm sun.  By then the temperature had warmed to the high 40's in the shade.  It was warm in the stratosphere too, as there were no contrails from the jets.

In 2008, when I first brought up the man who was going to prep our building site, his first comment was when arriving at Rose Camp was, "You're so high up here that God must be sitting on your ridge."  Well, he was right.  I have never been closer to the Creator of the Universe.  It feels like Rose Camp is just one step from heaven.

I know this is a perfect day to get lots done outside, but sitting here in the sun has me glued to the chair.  JB came out, all revved up about getting things done and got right to it, beginning with prying the deer feeding pan off the stump.  I'm still attached to the chair for a little while longer.

Then he took the snow shovels and other winter equipment off the porch and back where they belong.  The dogs were following him around to be sure they didn't miss their morning walk.  OK.  OK!  I'll get dressed!

After our morning walk, I finished taking all the large branch wood from the porch to the wood shed.  Then I did a thorough vacuuming and put in a load of laundry.  JB baked two large loaves of pumpkin bread.

The sky had almost completely clouded over by noon, and very quickly, too.  Dinga's back legs were really bothering her, so I went on the first half of the afternoon walk by myself.  Jesse joined me for the last half.  Our high for the day was 54.  It was my first day this year without snow boots!

In talking with Larry on the radio this evening, he said he was going to try to drive up our road tomorrow in his 4X4.  Woo Hoo!  That will certainly help the snow to melt more quickly, but I'm not really sure he can make it.  I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Wednesday 4/17. It is 36 and partly cloudy this morning.  Looks like another great day for working outside.

Thought for the day: At some point. . . you gotta let go and sit still and allow contentment to come to you.  Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment