Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mar 13, 2013 Eau de Coconut



Looking north to our house


Monday, 3/11. The day started out fairly clear but the few clouds soon turned into a complete overcast, so I did another load of wash.  Of course as soon as I hung it up, the clouds parted and the sun shone for most of the day, warming it up to 39. 

The woods are echoing with bird sounds on most sunny days.  Woodpeckers, nuthatches, and the one with a very distinctive call that I have yet to identify.  Seems to me that it has been a short winter this year, even though we got our first heavy snowfall in mid October, but it's been a rough one for JB with all of MAX's problems.  Plus he does not like the fog, which we had for most of December.  But for 70, his doctor says JB is in better shape than many 50-year-olds he sees.

After lunch we rode MAX to JB's Jeep and he was able to drive it out with no digging required.  We had a nice ride, and the dogs had a good run.

Buster came up to visit while Dinga and Jesse were eating dinner.  Jesse won't let him come up to the house anymore, so Buster just stands in the driveway across from the tipi and barks until we hear him.  Dinga came back in to finish her dinner within just a few minutes, leaving the boys to do their thing.

I started reading my blog from the beginning again and realized that our life was much more exciting and fun to read about during the first year or so.  But then, boring to read, is not necessarily boring to live.  Our life Up Here is still an adventure to us, but if you are reading my blog and you have not started from the beginning, I highly recommend it.

I know I have stated before that I really hate to waste any water, but during the winter I end up throwing out the left over dog water each day except for one, when I keep it for my indoor plants.  A few days ago I realized that I can put it in the rain barrels we bought, along with the water that runs in the shower while waiting for it to get warm.  Doesn't matter if it freezes.  I won't be using it til the weather is warm and I need water for outside plants.  I'll just mark that one barrel "for plant use only."  Can't believe I didn't think of that in October.

After dinner we watched the first two episodes and the special feature of "Downton Abbey."  How delicious!!  I have always loved most things English, being exposed to them through my Mother and her parents.  My Mother grew up in London and my Grandfather was the typical English gentleman.  So I will probably watch this series over and over.

Tuesday, 3/12.  The day began cloudy, breezy and 32.  Lots of wind and rain/snow in the forecast.  Breezy soon turned into windy, the sun came out, and we managed to pull in a lot of power, but the paths are mushy, muddy, slushy and slick.  JB worked on chipping out some of the ice near the porch and forcing the run-off towards the driveway.  I finished getting all my booth items gathered up, and cleaned up the storage end of the loft after I had to dig into it.  Started on my Easter cards, but my printer is acting up so I will try again tomorrow.

I have been using coconut oil for cooking since last Fall when Elsie told me about it, but I read in "Redbook" magazine that it is also a great moisturizer.  I took some out of the big jug and put it in a small canning jar to use as such.  I though it might be greasy, but it melts right into my skin and is better than any lotion I have ever used!  No chemicals, nothing synthetic, all natural.  Works great on my lips, too.  Eau de coconut - my new perfume!

Wednesday, 3/13.  It's warm out there this morning, 35 with some wispy clouds.  Still breezy and I can see as much ground as snow now.  Looks like an early Spring.  As Larry would say, every year is different.

Thought for the day: The United States was founded by the brightest people in the country - and we haven't seen them since.  Gore Vidal



No comments:

Post a Comment