Monday, March 18, 2013

Mar 18, 2013 March Mud & Snow & Mud



Sunrise on the Cascades
Friday morning


Friday, 3/15.  It is very odd to glance out the window and see so little snow, or none at all, when most of the ground was still covered a week or so ago.  Completely forgot to record that Thursday's high was 47!  Our warmest day so far this year.  While JB was fixing dinner, I sat out on the deck in the sun. No coat.  Slight breeze.  Lots of vitamin D and ahhhh.

Since JB had gone Down There for the day, I took the dogs on their morning walk, which I am really not motivated to do when JB is home, because he is.  Motivated, that is.  Funny how that word keeps popping up.  I used to be a morning person, but now that I am retired, I really don't get started til after lunch.  Except for morning chores, and reading.  Just not motivated.  I didn't wear a mask on our walk and my eyes and nose did not bother me.  Maybe the wind overnight dried out the snow mold sufficiently.  There is still alot of it around.

I find myself looking forward to Spring this year more than any other since we have lived Up Here.  It really has been a hard winter, not weatherwise, but just life-wise, especially with Uncle Jack's passing and all.  Spring is always so full of promise and possibilities, regardless. . .  It also means mud, and wiping off the dogs' paws every time they come in the house.  Jesse doesn't mind.  Dinga, on the other hand. . .

I organized and cleaned my bathroom drawers.  Found my bag of razors, which is a good thing, since I will have to start thinking about shaving my legs and armpits in the next couple months, even though there's not much hair left on my legs.  It has all migrated to my chin, my upper lip and my eyebrows.

Today was so wonderfully sunny.  Jesse was laying in the grove, on the dirt, in the sun.  A one-dog welcoming committee for Spring.  Dinga was laying on the cool dirt under the porch, pining for the melted snow.  The juncos are back.  They seem to know when the ground has started to reappear in our yard, even though it's early this year.

JB had a good ride down and back in MAX, arriving home around 3:00 pm.  I put the groceries away, while he read the newspapers.  After dinner we watched the second of three parts of "The Hatfields & McCoys".  The previous time JB was Down There, he found it on special for $7 ($30 off).  Excellent price, excellent movie.

Saturday, 3/16.  The day began and stayed overcast, with a high of 32 and a strong breeze.  I made myself a smoothie for breakfast: milk, Greek yogurt, blueberries, banana and agave.  Nutritious.  Delicious.  And not too filling.

Got our first mouse since last Fall, in a trap in the bathroom.  We will have to put some poison under the house.

There are a couple of little sink holes in the front yard where we stepped on newly exposed ground.  Since this is the first snowmelt on our resculpted yard, it is obviously still settling and adjusting to the new drainfield.  Where the holes are might also be where the water was running down for the past couple years from the broken pipes at the cistern.

After dishes, laundry and lunch, JB cut some big, low branches from two trees on the west end of the south ridge.  Always feels good to get out and do this kind of work for the first time of the year.  Got caught in a short hail storm blowing over.

The projected snow arrived as we were getting dressed to go on our afternoon walk.  Along with the snow, it was 37 with a cold wind.  Five minutes after we got back home, it was sunny but still snowing on Mission Ridge, and the wind had really picked up.  Not steady, but very gusty.

We finished watching "The Hatfields & McCoys".  Costner is really the epitomy of the cowboy, only matched by John Wayne and Robert Duvall.

Sunday, 3/17.  Got our second mouse at 1:30 am.  Just caught by its leg and flopping around.  JB got up and let it go outside, where it was snowing.  The wind had abated and the ground was white.  Back to bed.  Then I awoke with a start at 4:30.  The wind was howling again and my bladder was pressing, so not sure which one woke me up.  Since I was up, I added some wood to the fire.

Had forgotten to set my alarm, but we both woke up (again) at 7:40 am.  Hard to tell how much snow fell with all the wind, but I'm sure we got at least 1/2".  It was clear, 20 and windy.  COLD!  But by noon all the new snow had disappeared and the wind had backed off a little.

JB fixed our weekly big breakfast, so I made my smoothie for lunch.  After which, JB and the dogs hiked down to the game cam to get the card.  I don't like being out in the wind, and besides, I had more Robert B. Parker books that needed reading.  And letters to write for Monday mailing.

My exercise for the day was to hike down with JB and the dogs to put the card back in the game cam.  No interesting photos for the week, except for us and the dogs.  We are thinking of moving the cam down to the hair pin corner where there are usually more interesting tracks.

We put a couple chunks of poison under the house, so hopefully that will take care of the mice problem.

We plan to leave tomorrow morning by 7:45 am, which means we should be up by 6:00.  That hurts just typing it.

Monday, 3/18.  So, here I am, posting my blog at 6:30 am.  The sky has only begun to show signs of waking.  At least I can get a latte. . .

Thought for the day:  Government exists to protect us from each other.  Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.  Ronald Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment